Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Hurricane Irene and Annapolis 10-miler

The show must go on. At least that's what the Annapolis Striders are sticking to, at least for now. The 36th Annual Annapolis 10-mile run, which takes place at the Navy Stadium this Sunday, is still planning for the race to be run.

Erin Sanders

Here is an excerpt from the weather message on the Strider's website:

On the outside chance that Irene comes up the Bay, both the Striders and the various Police Departments will cancel the race. But none of us are going to make that call this early. We continue our planning, and are adding contingencies. It is also highly unlikely that the race will, or even can, be rescheduled. The amount of time and planning and coordinating with the USNA, NAAA, police, vendors and others, plus the personal schedules of critical race committee members, makes finding a new date very, very difficult. It is also unfair to the many out-of-town runners who plan for the race like a vacation. But again, we are investigating our options.

Hurricane Irene continues to threaten our area, with most of the impact effecting the eastern shore. As the margin of error continues to shrink, Meteorologist Eric Luebehusen says, "Almost every model has trended west toward the coast, and some even now bring it up the western shore of the Bay. Even the way-east NOGAPS has the storm tracking along the beaches. I think it is now safe to say we should expect major impacts from this storm, starting Saturday evening, at it's worst Saturday night and into Sunday morning." It is the eastern portion of the storm that is known to cause the most devastation.

After last year's major mess up at the milestone 35th anniversary of the A-10, the Striders are in need of a successful race. Obviously, the Striders have no control over the weather, but even acts of God can prevent traveling runners from a repeat race experience.

Other races are still planning to go on as well. The Get Ready! Get Set! Get Fit! 5K at Unitas Stadium in Towson will proceed rain or shine. Charm City Run's race director Kelly Dees said, "If the event is delayed or canceled that call will be made race morning."


Report this ad