Arthur is racing to the northeast at 23 mph, so it will be out of the region in a hurry with very nice weather this afternoon.
Hurricane Force Winds extend 40 miles from the center
Tropical Storm Force winds extend 125 miles from the center
Storm Surge up to 3-5 Ft high
Rainfall 4-8 inches near the center and north side.
The long radar loop here shows landfall just before 11 PM on July 3rd around Beaufort and Morehead City, then exiting just south of Nags Head around 4:30 AM on July 4th. This placed the strongest part of the storm and constant barrage of wind and surf on shore through Cape Hatteras all the way up OBX into Duck and Corolla. While many structures are built to withstand these winds, the main issue will be flooding and beach erosion. South of Kitty Hawk, the thin barrier island was subjected to wind and water from both the Atlantic and Pamlico Sound which could pile on sand from both sides.
- The north wind down the Chesapeake Bay feeding into the storm is the worst case scenario for Virginia’s Tidewater region.
- As the storm continues to move to the northeast, heavy rain has spread north, assisted by a cold front in Maryland. This brings strong squalls into Ocean City and Delaware.
- The track will pass just southeast of Cape Cod, MA and then hit Nova Scotia. See the forecast maps in the slide show.
SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
- LOCATION...36.0N 75.3W
- ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM E OF KITTY HAWK NORTH CAROLINA
- ABOUT 85 MI...135 KM SE OF NORFOLK VIRGINIA
- MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
- PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 40 DEGREES AT 23 MPH...37 KM/H
- MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...973 MB...28.74 INCHES
WATCHES AND WARNINGS FROM NOAA/NHC
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...
THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR CAPE COD HAS BEEN EXTENDED WESTWARD
TO WOODS HOLE.
THE HURRICANE WARNING WEST OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA HAS BEEN
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...
A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA TO THE NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA BORDER
* PAMLICO SOUND
* EASTERN ALBEMARLE SOUND
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA BORDER TO CAPE CHARLES LIGHT
VIRGINIA...INCLUDING THE MOUTH OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY
* WESTERN ALBEMARLE SOUND
* CAPE COD FROM PROVINCETOWN TO WOODS HOLE
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* NEW BRUNSWICK FROM THE U. S./CANADA BORDER TO GRAND-ANSE
* ALL OF NOVA SCOTIA INCLUDING CAPE BRETON ISLAND
* ALL OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE
AND PROPERTY SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED.
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA.
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA.
Prior Arthur reports:
Other articles you might be interested in:
Superstorm Sandy Related Articles:
• Hurricane Sandy wipes out Ocean City Fishing Pier. Time lapse video
*Kid Weather App:
Learn more cool things like this about weather. See the app I made with my son who is now in 1st grade. We have over 400 items of trivia plus live weather and forecasts for kids. See more and links for your device atkidweatherapp.com
Also keep up to date via
Facebook: Justin Berk, Meteorologist