The old mill at lock 37 on the Ohio & Erie Canal is believed to be haunted. Many local residents think that one of the former owners haunts the mill. Some people claim to have even witnessed the mill's ghosts. Spirits of the dead seem to be drawn to the canal and forever linger.
Wilson's Mill started out as Alexander's Mill and was built in 1855 by Andrew and Robert Alexander. The mill was constructed near lock 37 of the Ohio & Erie Canal and was powered with water from a wooden water wheel. The Alexanders custom built the mill to grind grist for local farmers. In 1900, Thomas Wilson bought the mill. The Wilson family currently operates a grain and feed store out of the mill.
There have been many deaths in the canal over the years. Most of them happened during the canal's construction. Many people have witnessed strange things near the canal and by the mill. Some of them believe that the spirits of the dead roam the canal towpath. One of these ghosts may be one of the Alexanders still tending to the old mill.
Wilson's Mill is located at 7604 Canal Road, in Valley View, Ohio.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published. Join John on Facebook, follow on Twitter, or connect on Google+. For more information on the author, visit his website.
Many locations that are listed in John's Hunting the Haunted series require permission to visit or investigate. Most of these places are patrolled by the authorities and trespassers could face fines or possibly even be arrested.
Copyright © 2013 by John Albrecht, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without permission from the author. Partial re-posting is permitted with a link back to the original article.