The Deep Rock Quarry in the Cuyahoga Valley Metro Park has had a reputation of being haunted for years. The quarry was used to build the Ohio & Erie Canal and the whole area surrounding it has many ghost stories and legends. Some visitors claim to have witnessed strange phenomena while exploring the park. Many people have reported seeing the quarry's ghosts.
The Deep Rock Quarry is a 73-acre national park located within the Cuyahoga Valley Metro Park system. It contains Lock 28, the deepest lock that was used on the Ohio & Erie Canal. The Berea sandstone blocks that were taken from the quarry were used to build the locks along the canal. In 1879, Ferdinand Schumacher purchased part of the quarry to use for mill stones. The mill stones were used at Akron's American Cereal Works for processing oats. Deep Lock Quarry later became a Metro Park in 1934.
The Deep Lock Quarry is rumored to have paranormal activity. Many of the park's visitors have claimed to have heard and seen strange things that they could not explain. Some people believe Native American spirits linger in the area. Canal workers that died building the canal are often spotted.
The Deep Rock Quarry is located at 5779 Riverview Road, in Peninsula, Ohio.
Be sure to check out John's other columns:
Akron Paranormal Examiner
Cleveland Haunted Places Examiner
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published. Join John on Facebook, follow on Twitter, or connect on Google+. For more information on the author, visit his website.
Many locations that are listed in John's Hunting the Haunted series require permission to visit or investigate. Most of these places are patrolled by the authorities and trespassers could face fines or possibly even be arrested.
Copyright © 2013 by John Albrecht, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without permission from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.