A lot of Ohio cemeteries have stories of a witch or two that are buried in them. One of the graves at the Cedar Grove Cemetery supposedly contains one of these witch's graves. Visitors say that the graveyard is haunted by the witch and her tombstone gets struck by lightning so often it has started to melt.
The Cedar Grove Cemetery was established in 1836 when Hermon Bronson let the township share some of his land for a town cemetery. The earliest known burial on the property was in 1824. Eventually in 1850, Bronson deeded the land to the township. Up until then, grazing farm animals in the cemetery was a common sight.
Among the many veterans buried at Cedar Grove, a witch was also believed to be laid to rest in the cemetery. Supposedly, the tombstone that marks her grave has been struck by lightning so many times that it is starting to melt. A few local residents believe that they have seen the witch's ghost.
The Cedar Grove Cemetery is located at Route 303 and Emerson Street, in Peninsula, Ohio.
Be sure to check out John's other columns:
Akron Paranormal Examiner
Cleveland Haunted Places Examiner
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published. Join John on Facebook, follow on Twitter, or connect on Google+. For more information on the author, visit his website.
Copyright © 2013 by John Albrecht, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without permission from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.