The Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is one of the largest homes in the country and like many other historic residences, this one is rumored to be haunted too. Most of the estate's employees and some its visitors have encountered a ghostly woman in gray. Strange occurences happen frequently at the historic haunted house and a lot of folks think that the gray ghost is responsible.
Stan Hywet was built in 1915 for Frank A. Seiberling and his family. The family named the house Stan Hywet, meaning stone quarry in Old English. Seiberling a self-made millionaire, was the founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and put Akron on the map as the Rubber Capital of the World. The Seiberling family wanted Stan Hywet to be preserved and open to the public, so the estate was eventually donated to a non-profit organization in 1957.
The Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is the only location in Akron listed as a Historic US National Landmark. There are guided tours of the estate from April through December.
Visitors and staff believe that the mansion and its grounds are haunted. The ghost of a woman has been encountered in various places of the 65-room historic home. She is known as the Gray Lady.
The Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is located at 714 North Portage Path, in Akron, Ohio.
Be sure to check out John's other columns:
Akron Paranormal Examiner
Cleveland Haunted Places Examiner
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published. Join John on Facebook, follow on Twitter, or connect on Google+. For more information on the author, visit his website.
Copyright © 2013 by John Albrecht, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without permission from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.