Nearly every inch along the Ohio and Erie Canal is rumored to be haunted. Ghosts and spirits seem to be drawn to the manmade waterway. One of the ghosts is spotted near Lock 3 in downtown Akron. Witnesses have encountered a weeping woman dressed in white and as they get closer, she vanishes.
The Ohio and Erie Canal began construction on July 4, 1825 in Newark, Ohio. Construction lasted through 1832. When completed, the canal was 308 miles long with 146 locks. The canal was used to haul freight and supplies from Lake Erie to the Ohio River. Railroads eventually took over freight hauling in 1861 and the canal was soon abandoned.
Most of the canal was destroyed on March 23, 1913 when a major storm flooded the waterway. In this disaster, 479 people were killed statewide, 5 of which perished in Akron.
There are countless ghost stories involving the Ohio and Erie Canal. Akron has quite a few of them and one involves a weeping woman in white. The crying ghost has been reported near Lock 3 Park and behind the Akron Civic Theater. When people get closer to the spirit, it disappears.
Lock 3 is located at 200 South Main Street, in Akron, Ohio.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published. Join John on Facebook, follow on Twitter, or connect on Google+. For more information on the author, visit his website.
Copyright © 2013 by John Albrecht, All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without permission from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.