Hundreds of Visitors Descend on Anaheim to Celebrate 5 Years of Disney Comraderie

Courtesy of MiceChat.com DustySage
Courtesy of MiceChat.com DustySage

Many locals may have thought last weekend to be the perfect time to visit the Disneyland Resort -- 2Fer Time, no holiday weekend, and finally clear weather -- but they were in for a surprise.  Approximately 500 people swarmed the central hub of Disneyland around the statue of Walt and Mickey to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of MiceChat.com, the largest Disney park fan-site on the web.

It’s more than a fan site to these 500 people, and the 35,000 other registered members - its a family. That’s a feeling shared not just by the members, but the site’s creator, Todd Regan, known as “DustySage”. “Creating the forums allowed me to give a home to all my Disney friends...its a community that really is like a family,” DustySage adds, “everyone has a role in this family -- we have moms, dads, kids, grandmas, quirky uncles and aunts. Everyone has their own niche on the site.”

Obviously, these members aren’t just any old Disney fans. In fact, last year when the weather threatened to rain out the anniversary festivities, 350 members from around the country showed up to celebrate in the pouring rain! “For so many of them, its their one chance to come to Disneyland and know their friends will be there, too...a chance to come here and realize, its not just a username, its real people!” DustySage said. “The anniversary meet is always our biggest event of the year.”

While MiceChat may not be officially recognized as a Disneyland affiliate, Disneyland employees sure know the mice-chatters when they see them. This year, train conductors gave a special shout-out to the visitors, “(The) train ride with everyone was great epspecially (sic) the conductor making the 5 yr anniversary announcement added to her spiel at each stop,” commented TomRules1955.

Disneyland wasn’t the only place locals found a crowd of mice-chatters, “We are lucky enough to have the Howard Johnson Hotel as a sponsor. They’re right across the street from the park entrance, and visitors can see the fireworks from their rooms; its just a really great thing for us,” said DustySage. “They offer great discounts for MiceChat members and even let us give away free rooms as prizes for our events...They let us use their Private Cove pool area for our Gumball Rally event last year which usually has 350-400 people attending. Its a massive undertaking!” The MiceChat Gumball Rally is their second largest event every year, and gains its own national news coverage.

The festivities for the anniversary celebration start off at HoJo’s every year with a party there on Friday night. All-day Saturday is spent exploring California Adventure, and Sunday is the traditional Disneyland day. Sunday also marks the end of the celebration and is an emotional outpouring of goodbyes. When asked his favorite memory of the anniversary meet this year, DustySage commented, “The last meet; people I've never even met were standing in line and all around just to hug me and tell me their stories -- a mother and son who had lost their father...a family who had moved (hundreds of miles) away and came here and found instant family...a father and son who came for the first time and the father told me ‘I don’t get to spend a lot of time with him and this is the closest I’ve ever been to my son.’”

The event is clearly a great opportunity for fans, families, and friends alike, and DustySage adds, “the only way to experience it is to attend.”

Comments

• Danielle 4 years ago

I love MiceChat! Some of the best people to exist are on this site :)

• Tim 4 years ago

The most overrated website on the net. It's not as rosey as people say it is.

• Sylvia 4 years ago

Overrated???!!! Disney is the happiest place on earth! If your not a happy person everyplace you go will be a bad experience.

• Dr. Earkid 4 years ago

Overrated? I guess it depends on who is doing the rating. If you ask the 35,000 members I'm sure we would come to a different conclusion. I joined MiceChat.com in January 2005, the week it opened and I have met some of my best friends on this site. As with any relation ship, I guess you get out of it what you put into it. Hugs to all my MiceChat buddies!!!

• Dusty 4 years ago

Happy Anniversary MiceChat. You've come a long way in 5 short years. The best is still yet to come!

• Josh 4 years ago

Tim has no clue what he is talking about.

• Bratt55 4 years ago

I have been around Micechat to witness love, marriage, babies, graduations and sadly even death of beloved members. In 5 years this little community continues to grow and every year I continue to meet new friends, some of whom become family. I can't wait for the next 5 years.

• Maria 4 years ago

I have never felt more welcomed anywhere else in my life.

• tinkermonkey 4 years ago

Micechat has changed my life - how many "chat boards" can you say that about? Not many, I'm sure. Bratt55 and Dr Earkid already said it but add me in as one who has met some of my closest friends and found an amazing support system as well. It's not all about the Mouse, but that's what draws us together. It was a fantastic weekend and I look forward to many more!!

• IJenn 4 years ago

I have made dozens of wonderful friends on MiceChat. It is a fun site that has great information.

Some people will complain about anything because it easy to hide behind a keyboard. :)

• elly 4 years ago

my husband and i had a fantastic time at the MiceChat anniversary over the weekend. We traveled all the way from Reno, Nevada just for this event and we weren't disappointed in any way by it.

• O'nut 4 years ago

Although I have personally outgrown the boards myself and no longer participate, I do have Micechat, and the Sunday meets, to thank for meeting some of the best people I have in my life.

How many can say they met people on a message board that they consider to be more than just friends, but family? How many people have taken vacations together that are non-Disney related? How many people asked another member to be their Best Lady in their wedding? How many people have you met on a message board that you can tell your innermost secrets to, knowing they will not judge you, but be there for you? I have.

I've shared many many laughs with these people, some tears, and a whole slew of memories have been made with my friends that I met on Micechat. And I look forward to making many memories with these people I call my family for, well, ever actually.

• ~LL~ 4 years ago

I've been a member of many message boards over the last 10 years. None of them can hold a candle to Micechat. I met my husband and some of my best friends on MC. I never knew when I joined MC in 2005 how much of a positive impact it would have on my life but I'm reminded of it every day when I see my husband and our beautiful daughters.

• tamasurvivor 4 years ago

Amen to it being the most amazing weekend ever! The Tiki room meet, the Haunted Mansion meet, the day at California Adventure... it was more than worth the drive out from Phoenix and even busting a fuel pump the day after from all that driving and also running off of very little sleep from being excited for the weekend... Totally worth it all for an amazing weekend... Yay for Micechat :) Oh and the Micechat Tradition of the train ride around the park... One of the best thing ever :)

• yoyo 4 years ago

I am proud to say I was there. My wife and I (who met on MiceChat) flew 3000 miles from New York to be there. I don't regret one second of it. A great place with some of the best friends I have ever had!

Happy 5 years! Here's to many, many more!

• Timmy55 4 years ago

The MiceChat 5th Anniversary weekend was wonderful. Seeing old friends, meeting new ones. Enjoying Disneyland with 500 of my closest friends. I also fell in love with Patty.

• Chadmo God of Wind 4 years ago

I was there for all of the events and had a great time. My children came with me and agree. We always have a great time as Disneyland but MiceChat made it even more fun all weekend and that's tough to do.

• Marie 4 years ago

What a great weekend! The only way you can improve upon a trip to Disneyland is by enjoying it with friends or family. Mice Chatters are like a large extended family. All 35,000 members share something, and getting together at our favorite spot is icing on the cake. Mice Chat enables us to keep up to date with Disneyland, other Disney news, and each other. I can't wait for the next event...Gumball Rally, here we come!

• Mike C. 4 years ago

Great website, great weekend. If anything it's rosier than it's made out to be. A great extended family of almost 35,000 and growing.

• Max 4 years ago

Great site for info, discussion, and travel planning. When we finally made it out to the parks for our first weekly meet, members were even warmer than they were on the site. We've made so many great friends over the years who have been a source of much joy and support.

• VF 4 years ago

You haven't been to Disneyland until you've been to Disneyland with a group of MiceChatters! The warmth and caring of the members is what makes MiceChat such a wonderful site.

• Tui 4 years ago