High school students are no stranger to the culinary scene. The restaurant and hospitality industry continues to be a growing career and education opportunity for today’s youth. ProStart® is a nationwide, two-year high school program that unites the classroom and industry to develop the best and brightest talent into tomorrow’s restaurant and foodservice leaders.
In the state of Maryland, 5,000 students participate in the Restaurant Association of Maryland Education Foundation’s (RAMEF) ProStart® Program. Each year students compete on a state level hoping to make it to the National competition. The Maryland ProStart® Student Invitational (MPSI) will take place on March 7, 2013 at the Baltimore Convention Center. Teams compete in either a management or culinary competition which they spend countless hours preparing for leading up to the competition.
Through out the nation 90,000 students participate in the ProStart® program. Winners from 43 state competitions will compete in the National ProStart® Invitational (NPI) at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront on April 19-21, 2013. Over 1.4 million dollars will be awarded in scholarships at the competition.
Both competitions are open to the general public. The public can experience first hand the intense yet wonderful world of the culinary industry where every moment is critical.
“As a former competitor at the state and national level, I gained important life lessons that I carry with me. There are no excuses, you get one chance to execute and you want to do the best you can to represent yourself and your team,” said Maryland ProStart coordinator, Crystal Rivera.
- Anne Arundel County: Meade High School, Northeast High School
- Baltimore City: Carver Vocational Technical High School, Edmondson-Westside High School, National Academy Foundation High School
- Baltimore County: Sollers Point Technical High School
- Howard County: Glenelg High School, Howard High School, Reservoir High School
- Kent County: Kent County High School
- Prince George's County: Bowie High School, DuVal High School, Fairmont Heights High School, High Point High School
- Baltimore City: Carver Vocational Technical High School, National Academy Foundation High School
- Baltimore County: Carver Center for the Arts & Technology
- Howard County: Howard High School
- Prince George's County: DuVal High School, Fairmont Heights High School
Culinary & Management Judges from:
Aero Service Group, Anne Arundel Community College, Aramark, Atwater’s, Chesapeake Food Safety, Compass Group - Towson University, Culinary Institute of America, Culinary Institute of Virginia, Diamond Ridge & The Woodlands Golf, Ecolab, Fresh Pizzeria, Genesis, Golden Corrall, Harrison Marketing, Lincoln Culinary Institute, Maryland Club, McCormick & Co., Inc., Micros, New England Culinary Institute, Popeye's, Restaurant Brokers and Developers, Riderwood Retirement, Ritz Carlton, Saval Foodservice, Share our Strength, Skipper's Pier Restaurant & Dock Bar, Stratford University, The Rumor Mill, Thompson Hospitality, West Kitchen & Tavern, Zauner & Mtimet, P.A., 920 Services
The first place teams in both culinary and management will represent Maryland at the National ProStart Invitational (NPI) on April 19-21, 2013. This year, NPI will be held again in Baltimore, MD! Maryland's first place culinary and management teams will be competing against 44 other state teams for the top prizes at the National ProStart Student Invitational at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel.
Baltimore Convention Center
1 W Pratt Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Thursday, March 7, 2013
7:00 AM – 4:00 PM (EDT)