After being spotted in the wild in a series of photo and video leaks, the new HTC One M8 was officially unveiled on Tuesday (March 25) in New York City. Key specs boosts found on the new HTC One M8 include a built-in Duo camera, a 5MP front shooter and updated front dual stereo speakers.
Undeniably one of the most anticipated smartphones of 2014, the new HTC One M8 is a sequel to the HTC One M7, which was released one year ago. For this latest flagship phone release, HTC addresses consumer needs by offering better camera features and superb sound quality.
Photo enthusiasts will be glad to know that the HTC One M8 features a new Duo camera alongside HTC's UltraPixel module and dual flash. The HTC One M8's UltraPixel camera specs include a pixel size of 2.0 um (micrometer ultrapixels), a 1/3” sensor, an aperture of f/2.0 and 28mm lens.
This combination of features promises better looking photos, even in settings with minimal lighting. “For the first time on a smartphone, this Duo camera captures true depth information of your photos. This opens up amazing creative possibilities,” CEO of HTC, Peter Chou said Tuesday at the HTC One M8 launch in NYC.
To add artistic creativity to images, the HTC One M8's "uFocus" feature lets you tap the screen to focus on the main subject of a captured image while blurring the background (or vice versa if you want). This professional photography technique is known as the “Bokeh” effect, and is usually achieved using a high end DSLR camera. The Duo camera integration eliminates the need for fiddling with camera settings or downloading separate apps to get photos to look a certain way.
For those who enjoy taking selfies and video chatting, HTC threw in a 5MP wide angle front camera on the HTC One sequel. Both the front and rear camera can record Full HD video in 1080p on the HTC One M8's 5-inch, 440 ppi display. Slow Motion mode lets you record and edit videos to slow down the action wherever you choose in order to highlight segments or add drama to your clips.
Music lovers will appreciate that the dual front stereo speakers on the HTC One M8 featuring HTC’s signature BoomSound technology is more powerful than before. Audio heard through the redesigned speaker chambers is richer, clearer and 25 percent louder than the HTC One M7. Internal digital signal processing (DSP) manages audio playback to improve dynamic range and reduce distortion.
“In 2013 we introduced the best smartphone in the world, but we never stopped challenging ourselves and the status quo in this category. As pioneers in mobile innovation, we continue to design and build devices that will dazzle, inspire and transform the smartphone industry,” Chou said Tuesday.
The HTC One M8’s predecessor has acquired many accolades in its year on the mobile market. The HTC One M7 won a Global Mobile Award for Best Smartphone at the GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC 2014). The flagship smartphone also won a gold iF product design award for its outstanding design quality. HTC strives to continue its path of success with a refresh of its flagship device. “I think it’s easy to see that the best smartphone in the world has just gotten better,” president of HTC Americas, Jason Mackenzie said.
The HTC One M8 is now available to buy online at major carriers in the U.S. and Canada including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile Verizon, Bell, Rogers and TELUS. Orders ship immediately so you can have the phone in your hand before it becomes broadly available. In-store availability is exclusively at Verizon Wireless stores and by April 10, the HTC One M8 will be available at all major carrier retail stores.
Before the end of April, the HTC One M8 will be available at over 230 carriers in over 100 countries including the Australia, China, France, Germany, Taiwan, the UK, Canada and the U.S.
Full List of HTC One (M8) Specifications as per HTC:
SIZE: 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm
WEIGHT: 160 grams
DISPLAY: 5.0 inch, Full HD 1080p
• Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801, 2.3GHz quad-core CPU
• Android™ 4.4 with HTC Sense™ 6
• HTC BlinkFeed™
• Total storage: 16/32GB
• RAM: 2GB
• Expansion card slot supports microSD™ memory card for up to 128GB additional storage (card not included)
2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
• 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
3G - WCDMA:
• EMEA: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
• Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
• AT&T: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps
• Sprint: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA up to 14.4 Mbps
• Verizon: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mbps
• TMUS: 850/AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
• Sprint: 800/1900
• Verizon: 800/1900
4G - LTE:
• EMEA: 800/900/1800/2600 MHz
• Asia: 700/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
• AT&T: 700/850/AWS/1800/1900/2600 MHz
• Sprint: FDD 800/1900 MHz , TDD 2600 MHz
• Verizon: 700/AWS/1800/2600 MHz
• TMUS: 700/AWS
• Nano SIM
• Proximity sensor
• Ambient light sensor
• Gyro sensor
• Barometer sensor
• 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
• Bluetooth® 4.0 with aptX™ enabled
• Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5 GHz)
• DLNA® for wirelessly streaming media from the phone to a compatible TV or computer,
• HTC Connect™
• micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile high-definition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection (Special cable required for HDMI connection.)
• Support consumer infrared remote control
• HTC BoomSound™
• Dual frontal stereo speakers with built-in amplifiers
• Sense Voice
• Primary camera: HTC UltraPixel™ camera, BSI sensor, pixel size 2.0 um, sensor size 1/3”, f/2.0, 28mm lens
• HTC ImageChip 2
• 1080p Full HD video recording with HDR video
• Secondary camera: capture depth information
• 5MP, f/2.0, BSI sensor, wide angle lens. with HDR capability, 1080p Full HD video recording
• Gallery with UFocus™, Dimension Plus™, Seasons, Foregrounder, Image Match
Audio supported formats:
• Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 10)
• Recording: .aac
Video supported formats:
• Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 10), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3)
• Recording: .mp4
• Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS
• Digital compass
• Capacity: 2600 mAh
• Embedded rechargeable Li-polymer battery
• Talk time: Up to 20 hours for 3G
• Standby time : Up to 496 hours for 3G
• Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
• DC output: 5 V and 1.5 A