1. Tech
  2. Gadgets & Tech
  3. Tech Gear

HP Hurricane webOS tablet may be released in 3rd quarter

New HP tablet to run webOS
image source: Palm

We first speculated that since HP bought out Palm, they would come out wth a webOS tablet. According to many industry insiders, this appears to be more of a reality  now. An insider at HP tells us that a webOS tablet under the code name HP Hurricane could be released the third quarter of this year.

Not too long ago--actually, only three weeks back--HP was still bragging about its HP Slate, a Windows 7 based tablet that was supposed to become the new iPad killer. However, early reviews suggested that the HP slate should just kill itself and that's exactly what appears to have happened.

"It is a really interesting device, but runs as slow as a turtle," says Los Angeles industry analyst Paul Mueller. "I think they could have had something with a faster processor, but that would have led to less battery life than the Slate already had." Like us, Mr. Mueller looks forward to the HP Hurricane. "If rumors of this tablet are true, this can be a killer device--webOS is an outstanding operating system for a tablet."

Comments

• mara 4 years ago

If HP hasnt still bought Palm (according to the press release: "The transaction is expected to close during HP's third fiscal quarter ending July 31, 2010"), that would only mean Palm is already working on a tablet with or without external HP support. Given the scarce reosurces of Palm, I dont believe it, and I doubt HP gave money to support that project before buying them.

Also, software must change to be able to take advance of a larger form factor. WebOS is flexible and scale, and already works on x86, but most of their core applications do not even support landscape mode (this is good on Pre and Pixi, they are designed in a way they dont need it) so changes must be done. And I doubt there is time to release it like in just some months.

• David 4 years ago

"but most of their core applications do not even support landscape mode"

This is not actually true. Most of their core apps DO support landscape, it's just not enabled "out of the box". I read my email in landscape all the time thanks to a tiny little patch from one of the good members at precentral.net :-)

• ceeaser 4 years ago

correct and I too work closely, and Alpha test with the hombrew internals, and the script to run applications in landscape mode is very simple, just not implemented by palm themselves which is odd. Also scaling of the apps currently to a larger scale is as easy as 1,2,3. I say that of course because since the pixi has come out they too had to scale the current apps at the time, down to the screen size of the pixi which is very easy. People understand that Web OS is the only Web Kit OS on the market, so when they say if you can build a website you can build a application is just that. Come over to precentral.net and to the developer forums and just see what they do its amazing. I have a pre for sprint running 800mhz faster clock time then a nexus one, and a battery life that last me almost a day in a half with moderate to heavy use. Its going to be a great dynasty....HP/Palm/Webos.

• Colonel Kernel 4 years ago

Typos, typos, typos.

1st Paragraph:
    An insider at HP tells us that a webOS tablet under the code name HP Hurricane [ i ]could be released the third quarter of this year.

2nd Paragraph:
    Not too long aGo--actually, only three weeks back--HP was still bragging about its HP Slate....

3rd Paragraph:
    "If rumors of this tablet are true, this can be a killer device--webOS is an outstanding operating system for a tAblet."

• daryl deino 4 years ago

i am getting over Pink Eye but still have blurred vision. Sorry abt the grammatical errors.

• Sorli 4 years ago

HP may be closing in July, but HP has already admitted publicly to 'Doubling Down' on Palm, webOS, present, and future efforts.

I suspect HP is already infusing Palm's efforts and working separately (for now) till they can join and work together as a team come July. Also note, Palm has plenty of money in their own coffers now that HP is coming on board. These millions of dollars were held in reserve because it was not easily replenished without sales plentiful, but thankfully this is much less of concern.

I suspect Palm is Kickin' into HIGH Gear and moving forward with all their original plans put on hold. I'm pumped and excited to see what Palm and HP come up with and it should be very interesting!

Sorli...

• David 4 years ago

"but most of their core applications do not even support landscape mode"

• Garion 4 years ago

So what happens to Palms phones now that HP has bought Palm?
    Will they still be making new Palm phones, or will they be sold as HP phones from now on?

• Kevin 4 years ago

More information at MyHPMini.com

• Nate 4 years ago

Surely Palm has already been developing a slate that HP will just drive home, right? Remember HP's slate WAY back when WinXP Tablet came out? I never got my mits on one but the reviews all indicated solid hardware. HP has a ton of slate/tablet experience and I am ecstatic that they'll be able to brush the dust off and re-introduce it.

I currently use a convertible Lenovo Tablet PC and love the device. The ONLY thing missing is that it's not 'snappy' and instant on, which I hope to mostly fix by upgrading to an SSD. For me, a slate is only viable if I can ink on it with a digitizer. The ipad is obviously perfect for taking in media and doing iphone-like single-purpose touch-interface apps... but try to take notes on it in class or a meeting or at home...or make an intricate sketch.

• Jeff 4 years ago

I predict that HP will fail with the WebOS tablet unless they can clearly demonstrate the benefits to the end user. I fear it will be another repeat of the tech media falling over themselves championing a worthy competitor only this time HP will fall flat on its face. It's all about apps and user experience and not the product anymore so HP's work is really cut out for them. The saddest part in all this are all the developers that invested money and years of their lives developing for the Palm platform and shut out and not given any help to migrate to WebOS fast enough if any was even given.

• Anil 4 years ago

• Daryl Deino 4 years ago

Something tells me the HP webOS tablet WILL be released this year. Perhaps the third quarter is too soon, but I believe my source and I believe HP will release an awesome webOS tablet.

• theft 4 years ago

WebOS Grandes

• Prenooz 4 years ago

HP has such a wide distribution network and its success will mainly depend on whether HP:

tweeks webOS and makes it ready for primetime (No Lag):

puts out a whole line of sexy, full-featured webOS products (Tablets, Netbooks, Phones, MP3 Players, TVs, etc) :

extends battery life for webOS:

strengthens and expands it's synergy feature:

includes USB 3.0/HDMI type connections

develops a propriety interface/portal with;

a fresh clean look for data/files syncing which makes use of it's further improved, unprecedented multitasking support

includes multimedia partnerships (Like Amazon books, music, and videos.)

adding social network profiles so that "members" can make media
    suggestions/recommendations and build (HP Palm) relationships (I call it webOSync)

a barrage of marketing campaigns.

Lastly, there is a market that HP will tap into which cannot be underestimated. As for developers, they will come to webOS

• ptel 4 years ago

So when can I pre-order? No pun intended.

• Chris 4 years ago

Well I think it will do very well. I love web-OS, I have the Palm Pre and I love the software. I think they have plenty of time to realese it as long as they stick with some of what Palm was planning when they where working on their tablet before they had to abandon the project because of financial disstrength. I think they will do fine as long as it is marketed and designed well. The Pre failed to the iPhone just because it wasnt put through very good marketing. But I think they will do fine.

• テレエッチ 出会い 3 years ago

出会えるテレエッチサイト http://www.venusline.org/cate.php?c=100 テレエッチ 出会い

• Profile picture of seanb209
    seanb209 2 years ago

I hate when say, "Oh this is going to be the Ipad killer"... There will never be an iPad killer people just like there will never be a Microsoft Windows killer or iPod killer. It just won't happen. They're too far ahead in the game and everyone else will always be following. See: http://bestnetbooksunder200.com for more details and reviews on tablets and netbooks.

• UGG Outlet 2 years ago

Giannini says that when she meets people she hasn't seen for years, "They say I am the same person. I am UGG Outlet proud of that." The job has changed UGG Store her, though, in some ways. She got married in the same year she landed the top UGG bailey button boots Gucci job, but the marriage ended after three years. She lives alone with herUGG bailey button triplet German shepherd dog, although rumours that her close relationship with Patrizio di Marco, Gucci's CEO, goes beyond the professional have been around since soon after she UGG classic cardy bootsjoined the company two years ago. She is blonder and sleeker and now speaks excellent English, all a result of six years as the public face of an international company.

• mike 2 years ago

Please check out http://bestwindowstablet.net and http://ipadalternatives.net for tips and reviews on tablets.

• Tebow 2 years ago

I guess they never came out with this tablet cause I have never heard anything about it in 2011. 2012 has a crap load of tablets being released. You can check them out here: http://kindlevsnooks.net and for windows tablets check out http://windows7tablets.com

• James 2 years ago

So HP has abandoned this project. Hopefully there are more tablets to come. Check out http://windowstabletnews.com/ for more info on Windows Tablets

Don't Miss

Games Interview
  • Logitech mouse
    Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX: Wireless mouse works on any surface including glass
    Camera
    14 Photos
  • Inquisition
    'Dragon Age: Inquisition' preview: Looking like the RPG we want, may challenge 'The Witcher 3'
    Games Preview
  • Orkut
    Google announces the closure of Orkut, its first social media attempt
    Video