Furnishing the abode can be fun as well as a challenge. Smaller spaces often beg for multi use items. Home with young children require furnishings that address safety. An ottoman is a wonderful and versatile piece of furniture that will add beauty and function to a room.
Be sure to watch me on the SFGate video as an accompaniment to this article!
Have fun with using ottomans in the decor.
Ottomans are not just for resting your tired legs upon anymore. They can look beautiful in the room while providing extra surface for seating or serving guests.
- Instead of a coffee table use an ottoman. No need to worry about children getting hurt with an upholstered piece replacing sharp corners of a table.
- An ottoman can be placed in front of a coffee table to provide extra seating where a chair will not fit such as in front of a fireplace.
- Place an ottoman or a couple of small ones slipped under a table to provide extra seating when the room is filled with visitors.
Decorating an ottoman can provide a design accomplishment to impress guests.
Dress up the ottoman to become the centerpiece of the room.
- Sew on some fringe to the perimeter of the ottoman to enhance its look.
- Add a tray to sit upon the ottoman to place drinks and snacks upon.
- A large coffee table book will double on an ottoman as a tray.
- Drape a throw upon the ottoman for a dramatic appearance.
- Use an oversized scarf to drape over the ottoman to layer.
Recovering an ottoman can give it new life for a refashioned decor.
- Repurpose old jeans to cover an ottoman with.
- An antique burlap sack will make the perfect material to use to cover an ottoman for a country setting.
- Have grandma knit a fitted cover to dress up an ottoman.
- Cut up an old knitted sweater or scarf to sew together for an ottoman cover.
- Rugs and carpeting make interesting covers for ottomans.
- An old fur can be used as upholstery for an ottoman.
Decorating is about using imagination and not being afraid to explore possibilities. Items can add excitement to the decor when used outside of their norm. Have fun decorating and never be afraid to dance!
Watch all of my SFGate Interior Decorating videos!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.