DragonCon begins on Friday! Some of us have been waiting ever since the end of last DragonCon for that day to come around! If you are one of the over 60,000 people who will be attending this year, congratulations! You're in for an amazing experience! But if you are new to the convention, or relatively new, here are a few tips to help you enjoy the somewhat overwhelming experience:
- The ConSuite is on the second floor of the Hyatt. It provides free food and drink for Con-goers. Sometimes there is real hot food and sometimes there's only popcorn and snacks but there is always something.
- Unless you really love being extremely up close and personal with strangers, stay away from the Marriott bar floor at night.
- Be flexible with your schedule. Be prepared to stand in line for the most popular guests. You may not get to see everything so plan alternatives. You can always see your favorites in the Walk of Fame or the autograph section.
- Don't just stick to the main events. There are tracks for everything from space and science to fantasy and sci-fi, horror, the paranormal and many more. All of them have fascinating guests and discussions to offer.
- If there is a very long line for someone you want to see in one of the larger rooms, if you wait about 5 or 10 minutes after the event begins, you can probably still get a seat.
- Aim for at least 6or hours of sleep a night, one shower a day, breakfast every day and at least one other meal.
Go with an open mind and be prepared to change your plans on a moment's notice and be ready to have the time of your life with a whole bunch of like-minded people!
I'll be working in Science Fiction Literature. Come see me there!