UNLIKE FASHION, HELPING OTHERS NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE.
The aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti is horrific. Interior Minister Paul Antoine Bien-Aime released the death toll may hit 200,000.
Although over 3 million people have survived, and their health is a great concern.
"Health experts warn of threats from tetanus and gangrene, and spread of measles and meningitis as aid effort continues...Medical experts said many survivors had multiple fractures and internal injuries. Medical teams at mobile hospitals that have been overwhelmed by the casualties warned of the immediate threats of tetanus and gangrene and the spread of measles, meningitis and other infections.
In Haiti, where Aids, tuberculosis and malaria are rampant, children are malnourished and hygiene is already a challenge, the quake has added potentially lethal infections, broken bones, internal injuries and other health complications" (www.guardian.co.uk).
The following are valid organizations that are guaranteed to donate purchases to the Haitian relief:
- STILLERSTRONG is an organization lead by comedic actor, Ben Stiller. The organization sells headbands and with the profit, constructs schools in Haiti. With the recent earthquake, the organization is redirecting all donations to immediately help the relief effort. Headbands range from $10.00-$39.99. Autographed headbands are also available for $300.00 each.
- Pop Sensation, Lady Gaga is selling $25.00 t-shirts on her website. All of the proceeds will immediately be donated to Haitian relief.
- Jewelry designer, Erica Simon is donating 100% of the profits from her Diyite Collection to SOIL. The jewelry is a mixture of sterling silver, Smokey Quartz, and seeds collected from women in Milot, Haiti. "Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods (SOIL) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting soil resources, empowering communities and transforming wastes into resources in Haiti, one of the most economically impoverished and culturally rich countries in the western hemisphere. SOIL promotes integrated approaches to the problems of poverty, poor public health, agricultural productivity, and environmental destruction" (soil.org).
- Cafepress is offering a large array of shirts, pins/buttons, canvas totes, hats, aprons and hoodies. Donations from Cafepress will donate 100% of the purchase price to UNICEF.
- Clothing Brand Kid Dangerous Grime Couture, based in LA, is selling t-shirts. The profits will be donated to One Dome At A Time. This organization is "a joint venture between Haitian-born musician and entrepreneur, Won-G and Monolithic Dome Experts, David, Andrew and Rebecca South. One Dome At A Time's mission is to facilitate and promote the construction of safe, green and clean housing worldwide"(onedomeatatime.org).
Donate directly to relief organizations:
- Habitat for Humanity: click here
- United Animal Nations: click here
- UNICEF: click here
- The American Red Cross: click here
- Salvation Army: click here or here
- Catholic Relief Services: click here
- International Medical Corps: click here
- Doctors Without Borders: click here
- Yele: click here or Text Yele to 501501 to donate $5.00 via cell phone
For every comment on this article, I will personally donate $1.00 to the American Red Cross.