A stenciled rolling pin makes a unique decoration for a kitchen or dining room. Once the rolling pin is stenciled, you can display it on a shelf or hang it on a wall. A stenciled rolling pin also makes a great housewarming gift.
Stenciled Rolling Pin
- Wood rolling pin
- 1 yard thin checked ribbon
- Acrylic paints
- Stencil brush
- Masking tape
- Clear acrylic spray
- Cover your work area with a small tarp or large plastic bag.
- Wipe the rolling pin with a slightly damp sponge.
- Place the rolling pin on the tarp. To keep the rolling pin from moving, place a heavy book or object to the front and back.
- Tape the stencil to the front of the rolling pin.
- Stencil a color at a time, and let each color of paint dry completly before adding the next color. Pour a small amount of paint in an old dish.
- Dip the stencil brush in the paint, then tap the edge of the dish to remove exces paint. Firmly dab the brush on the first design of the stencil. If using more than one color, wash and dry the brush. Carefully remove the stencil, then wash it in warm water. Once that color is dry, tape the stencil back on the design. Proceed with the next color. Repeat this step until the stenciled design is done.
- Once the design is completey stenciled and dry, spray the rolling pin with acrylic spray. Make sure to do this step in a well-ventilated room.
- If you want to hang the rolling pin, tie one end of the ribbon to one side of the rolling pin, then tie the ribbon to the other end. Trim excess ribbon, hang.
Walmart on 863 Harvest Lane, in Williston, Vermont, has a stenciling craft section where you can find great designs and acrylic paint needed for this project.