In most workspaces a cluttered desk isn't an uncommon occurrence. This can lead to a cluttered mind and being behind schedule. Here are some quick tips to keep you on track in your workspace:
- Maintain a monthly calendar with deadlines, obligations, and meetings where your attendance is required. Keep your calendar up to date so you will be able to see where/when you have time and when you don't. Whether digital or on paper, a calendar is a must!
- Set mini-deadlines for yourself. Break apart large tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. If there is a project or presentation for Monday, have an outline completed a week before and the presentation finished on Thursday, then give yourself Friday and the weekend to practice.
- Get rid of time wasters and distractions. This includes shutting your door to avoid unwanted foot traffic and staying off Facebook and texting when you are on the clock.
- Periodically delete e-mails that are no longer relevant. If there are any loose emails, be proactive and find out what the hold up is.
- Every item in your workspace should have a home and be easy to see and access.
- Do one thing at a time rather than everything at once. Make a list, placing the most urgent/important at the top and least urgent at the bottom then get to work.
- Take 5 minutes to tidy up your workspace before you leave and you will return to a clutter-free and inviting desk.
I challenge you to make a proactive change in your workspace to make it a more functional and pleasant place for you to be. If you need major help or guidance, share your concerns with me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.