If you are so fortunate as to have a family vacation home, the last thing you want is to have everyone squabbling over it. Much of this discussion is flexible and depends on how close and responsible your family is. There are many things you need to consider in order to minimize the opportunity for a family feud, and here are just a few things to consider.
- Who is responsible for upkeep?
- Are there rules as to how often one family member can book the home at peak vacation season?
- Are the house rules clear?
- Are there rules against other family members just popping in unannounced?
- If one or more family members cannot help with upkeep or in a financial way, are the rest of the family members OK with that?
- How is the home to be decorated and who will do that?
- Is it fine with everyone to lend the home to friends outside the family?
It is vital you ask these questions at a joint family gathering and set the rules together regarding these things. There is nothing worse than family members who are upset over the inconsiderate behavior of others when it was never discussed. What may seem inconsiderate to one member of the family may seem normal and fine to another. So, getting 'pet peeves' out in the open beforehand is the best thing to do. The video accompanying this article delves deeper into financial things to consider which always come up, even if the family didn't think of them. It is best to be on top of things than to wake up one morning to an all out family feud. By doing your homework and setting some rules early you can make the family vacation home a place your family will want to use to make memories that will last a lifetime.
If you would like to receive regular Family updates from this author, you can subscribe for free at the very top or bottom of this page by clicking 'subscribe'. You will receive an e-mail with a link to future articles on Family issues by Atlanta Page. 'Who says the family has to be a source of stress? It can be a finely tuned source of love, joy, peace, security and fun!' ~Atlanta :)
* Signing up to the Newsletter does not Subscribe you to Atlanta Page >>>look for “Subscribe” to be linked via e-mail to Atlanta's most recent publications.
Be sure to check out all of Atlanta Page's titles including:
- Knoxville News
- Knoxville Christianity & Culture
- Kingsport Cooking
- Knoxville Frugal Living
- Knoxville Organic Food
- General Recreation
- Stay-at-Home Parents
- Western Religions