With Valentines day just around the corner, men (and women) sometimes overlook preparing their cars for that special date. If you’re going to be spending the evening whisking your significant other around town, you want to be sure that your car is in top shape as well as spic and span in and out. Your car is kind of like your wing-man making sure that you get through your romantic evening without a hitch. Here are some helpful suggestions for you to consider before picking up your date.
- Don't drive a car with major mechanical problems - A couple of days before your date, if your car has major mechanical troubles, seriously consider borrowing a friend’s car. The last thing you want to happen on your date is for your car to break down.
- Make sure maintenance is up to snuff. - If your using your own car, make sure that all the maintenance you can realistically take care of is done. That means making sure all lights are working, tires are in tip top shape, although not necessary a fresh oil change is in the engine and everything looks “right” under the hood. Most importantly you’ll want to make sure that your significant other has his/her seatbelt in working condition and that the airbag light isn’t on. Remember, safety first (*wink*)
- Clean the inside and outside. - You’ll want to fully clean your car. Throw out any trash and fully vacuum and clean your interior. If you have any unsightly stains, make sure to hit it with some carpet cleaner (or equivalent). Now’s the time to break out the car wash soap and bucket to clean all the filth off your paint. If you have the time, apply some combination polish/wax (big plus for some carnauba wax) to get that lovely shine back.
- Break out the polisher. - If you have a dual action polisher and some compound, feel free to get rid of those unsightly scratches
- Add some fresh scents - If you have a subtle smelling air freshener, feel free to pop it under the seat. A good smelling car is always a plus.Shoot for a warm and inviting scent like vanilla. Stay away from over fruity type scents like lemon, pina colada or pine sol green.
- Run the heater - If it’s cold outside, before picking up your date, make sure the car is nice and warm (not to hot!) by running the heater a bit while driving to her house.
It really doesn't matter what kind of car you drive, but if it’s clean, not trashed and inviting, your significant other will appreciate your effort and will make the night that much smoother.