Are you trying to motivate your husband to go to the gym and workout but aren't having very much luck? If so, then there are some do’s and don’ts that you will want to be aware of if you have any hopes of being successful. Your husband undoubtedly knows he is out of shape and would probably love to go to the gym and exercise more often, but there are some things stopping him from doing so. After reading these tips you will know how to get your husband to workout on a regular basis.
If you want to get your husband to go to the gym then these are the things that you should not do.
- Don’t nag him- Nagging him to go to the gym will only make matters worse. He is likely already having an internal argument with himself about why he’s not exercising regularly and he doesn't need someone else telling him the same things he’s already telling his self.
- Don’t make comments about his looks- Commenting on the shape your husband is in will only make him feel insulted-not motivated.
- Don’t make it a competition- If you are already going to the gym and exercising regularly, don’t throw it in his face to try to make him feel bad about not exercising. After all, you are in a marriage which should be a partnership not a competition.
Here is a list of things you can do that will make your husband want to go to the gym with you.
- Make it fun- Everyone likes to have fun and when there is something that someone either does not want to do or does not look forward to doing making it fun is the easiest way to get them to do it. Make exercising family time or kind of a date night if you don’t have kids or they are too young to exercise. Go on bike rides, hiking, walks around your neighborhood, or any other physical activity you can think of. Just getting his body in motion will release endorphins which will make him feel good about what he is doing and will make him want to do it regularly.
- Compliment him- Compliment your husband by telling him how “hot” and “sexy” he looks. It will make him feel good about himself and he will start wanting to improve his looks even more by exercising and getting himself in shape.
- Spice up your love life- Remember back when you and your husband first met? Your life was full of love and romance. You did everything you could to impress each other and life was full of new surprises every time you were together. After being married for a little bit the love grows stronger but the romance starts to dwindle away. That means you don’t try as hard to impress each other and you start to accept each other for who you now instead of always expecting more. By putting the romance back into your marriage you will be able to force him to want to impress you (without actually forcing him) and he will likely start exercising and taking better care of himself.
Related content: How to get the romance back in your marriage
When most women are trying to get their husbands to go to the gym with them they usually start off by doing everything on the “Don’ts” list first. It is not until they start going down the list of Do’s that they figure out how to motivate their husbands the right way. At the end of the day if you have tried everything you can to get your husband to exercise and still aren't having any luck, you just have to love him for who he is. He will be much more appreciative that you know his faults and love him anyway than he will be if you nag him, humiliate him, and compete with him over the shape he is in.