It’s the middle of January: the perfect time to get back on track on your New Year’s Resolutions.
Don’t worry if some of them haven’t been exactly put into practice. Goals can be made every day of the year, not just on the first one.
Now that the holidays are over and life is back to normal, you can use this time to add some style goals to your New Year’s Resolutions list.
Style resolutions can help you in several different ways. They can help you when you are late for a meeting because you spent too much time facing your closet thinking “I have nothing to wear!”.
They can also help you financially when your credit card receipt accuses you of spending too much on shoes you never wear.
But most importantly, they can help you get out of your style rut and bring some life to your outfits.
The best part about style resolutions is that they are much more fun than the usual “go to the gym” resolutions.
So let’s get you started!
1) Think of the main problems you are having about your style. Imagine it’s December already and you are looking back on 2013: what would you like to have achieved? (It can be anything: incorporate more trends into daily outfits, get ready faster in the morning, buy less clothes – you decide). Now, write down your goals
2) Choose a celebrity or a blogger that has a similar body type as yours. Check pictures of her and analyze what looks good and what doesn’t. Also, think about a person whose style you want to emulate. Start collecting pictures on Pinterest or make an inspiration board in your room. This will guide you when you go shopping.
3) Clean out your closet. Assess each piece and get rid of what doesn’t fit, what doesn’t look good, what doesn’t match your personality. It’s a difficult process, especially if you are very attached to your belongings, but it’s necessary. It’s no use having a huge closet filled with things you never wear.
4) With a clear definite goal, a celebrity to inspire you and an organized closet you are ready to go shopping. Take advantage of this month’s sales. Be more mindful of what you buy and soon your closet will have lots of pieces you love and that make you look your best.
5) Incorporate your goal in your routine. It’s Ok if you don’t accomplish your goal every day of the year, but don’t forget it entirely. For example, if your goal is to wear more color, you don’t have to wear a very colorful outfit every day. But try adding a colorful detail daily, such as a nail polish or a pair of earrings.
Don’t beat yourself up if you are a little behind on your resolutions. Go back to them and see what the next steps are. Make 2013 the year where you strive to look your best.
What are your style resolutions? You can check mine on my 2013 Inspiration board!