It’s said that pizza is very unhealthy and well it is. With all the calories it has and minimal amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber it’s still a go to food for so many. The good news is that you can make pizza more of a healthy option by preparing it yourself. So no more Pizza Hut or Dominos, cut the calories and indulge in pizza with peace of mind. The longest wait of the overall recipe is the dough. Prep time for the dough will be approximately 2 hours and total cooking time will be 20 minutes.
• 1.5 Cups warm water
• 1 T. sugar
• 1 .25-ounce package active dry yeast
• 1 t. olive oil
• 1 t. salt
• 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
• .5 cup all-purpose flour
Now that your dough is complete grab your ingredients for your veggie pizza.
• Whole wheat pizza crust
• 2 T. olive oil
• 3 large garlic cloves
• 1 cup chopped red onion
• 1 green bell pepper chopped
• Store brought pizza sauce
• 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
• Garlic salt, to sprinkle
1) Using prepped whole wheat pizza dough preheat the oven to 425 F. Place a small amount of oil on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
2) Using a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions, garlic and green pepper until they are soft.
3) Roll pizza dough on prepared sheet. Mold crust with your hands. Using a spoon spread the store brought pizza dough onto the center of the dough and spread outwards. Place sautéed vegetables evenly on top of the crust. Spread olive oil on top of crust and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust becomes golden.
Ingredient Tip: Interchange vegetables/ingredients at your leisure.