The wife loves sushi and has been bugging me for a long time to learn how to make some. Today was that day. I made a simple, easy roll to get the basics of sushi making. You can certainly expect more recipes, and more creative recipes, in the near future! Here is what I did today:
For the rice:
- Put rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl. Pour the vinegar all over the rice. Gently stir until rice is all combined.
- Cover and let cool to room temperature.
For the sushi:
sushi rice, previously prepared
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 lb imitation crab meat
4 sheets seaweed sushi wrappers
1 bamboo mat for sushi making
- Wrap bamboo mat in plastic wrap to keep it clean.
- Place 1 seaweed sheet onto bamboo mat. Put 1 cup of rice in the center of the sheet. With wet hands, push the rice to fill the entire sheet. Carefully flip over.
- In the center of the sheet, place a line of imitation crab meat, avocado, and cucumber strips.
- Hold the filling firmly in place with fingertips. Using thumb, push up and turn the bamboo mat edge nearest you, up and over filling, pressing firmly to enclose filling and lifting mat while rolling to keep free from enclosing in sushi roll. Gently, but firmly, press the bamboo mat around the roll to shape. Unroll the mat and remove the sushi roll to a cutting surface, seam side down.
- Cut the roll in half. Cut those halves in half. Cut those halves in half as well, leaving 8 rolls.
- Serve with wasabi and pickled ginger.
For more recipes like this one, please visit What Is Cooking Now?