Learning how to make pineapple upside down cake isn't difficult, and with the holidays just around the corner, it's a good idea to explore as many Thanksgiving and Christmas cake ideas as possible. By doing this, you bring something special and really lovely literally to the holiday table.
What I like about cakes that utilize fruit is that they allow you to capitalize on the natural decorative beauty of fruit. What's more, this kind of cake naturally complements other desserts like pecan pie, which are also popular this time of year.
Making this pineapple upside down cake from scratch starts with some sweet ingredients like brown sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extra, and naturally, pineapple rings. This recipe, with its fresh ingredients, really hearkens back to the old days, bringing out waves on nostalgia in me.
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ c. dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 to 5 pineapple rings, sliced about ½-inch thick (about one-fourth of whole pineapple)
- 2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c. buttermilk, (choose low-fat for a healthier option)
- ½ c. canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch non-stick layer cake pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with brown sugar, making sure that the layer is even. Place the pineapple rings on top.
- Fill the open spaces between the pineapple rings with the chopped ginger pieces. Fill the holes in the pineapple as well.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, baking powder, all-purpose flour and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the vanilla, buttermilk, eggs and canola oil together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until everything is mixed.
- Pour the pineapple upside down cake batter over the pineapple and brown sugar mixture in the layer cake pan.
- Bake the home pineapple upside down cake recipe until the top turns light brown. Stick a wooden skewer inside to check that it's done as well. This should take about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Allow this to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake by running a knife around the edges of the cake.
- Prepare a cake plate.
- Place the cake plate over the cake. Grab the cake pan and the cake plate and turn upside down onto the plate.
- Makes 8 servings.
- For tips on how to slice fresh pineapple, watch the video attached to this article.