This recipe takes about 45 minutes to prepare (including the 30 minute marinade time) and about 10 to 15 to cook and it serves 4 people. Of course if you want to serve 8 double the ingredients or half them to serve 2.
Teriyaki is a style of cooking mainly used in the Japanese cuisine but has become quite popular in other parts of the world. The technique is basically grilling or grazing the food with the sauce which is typically made with soy sauce, sugar and a type of rice wine, which is very similar to sake with a lower alcoholic content and when heated (for the use of the teriyaki sauce) it alcohol evaporates. And the pineapple added to the sauce gives it a sweeter taste as well as it makes the meat more tender.
Ginger or ginger root has been used for medical purpose for ages, but also in our every day culinary lives. In the western world, the spice is mainly used for sweetness such as gingerbread cookies or ginger snap. However it can also be used in several dishes giving the chicken in this case a hint of tangy spicy taste.
Ingredients and Items Needed:
4 chicken breasts (about 3-5 ounces each)
1 can of pineapple
4 tablespoons of teriyaki ginger sear and rub
½ cup of orange teriyaki marinade
- Make sure to thaw the chicken breasts if not already thawed
- First thing to do is to rub the chicken breasts with the teriyaki ginger sear and 1 tablespoon of the orange teriyaki marinade, and let it sit for about 30 minutes
- In the meantime heat the gas grill on high for 7 minutes
- Cut the pineapple slices into small pieces
- Place the sauce pan on medium heat
- Add the cut pineapple pieces and the rest of the orange teriyaki in the sauce pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with the wooden spoon
- Once the sauce is reduced and gets a little thick turn off heat and set aside
- At this point grill the chicken breasts for about 6 minutes on each side (if 6 minutes is still not enough, add a minute on each side or until the chicken is not pink inside)
- Put the teriyaki and pineapple sauce evenly on each chicken breast and serve