Recently, the researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health and the China Medical University in Shenyang, put out a study with strong indications that fluoride adversely affects the cognitive development in children. While this isn't the first time fluoride's gained negative press, based on these findings, researchers say that the risk should not be ignored. One great way to avoid fluoride in your toothpaste is to stop buying artificial brands, and making your own natural toothpaste at home. Making your own toothpaste gives you the flexibility to customize flavor, and is a less expensive alternative to natural toothpaste brands.
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Stevia powder
- 15-20 drops essential oil (cinnamon or mint work great)
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (optional)
- Soften the organic coconut oil, and add the other ingredients to the warm mixture; keep stirring while to toothpaste cools to make sure the baking soda is incorporated.
- Store the cooled toothpaste in small glass jars, and use a teaspoon to apply the toothpaste to your brush's bristles.