This is a great healthy meal with flavor; one serving consists of about 365 calories with 26 grams of protein, 15 of carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber and 24 grams of fat of which 6 of those are of saturated fat, and 257 milligrams of sodium. The following recipe makes for 4 servings.
The best cut of meat for this recipe is the flat-iron one which comes from the shoulder of the cow, and in some butcher shops and meat markets can be referred as a "top blade" roast. This type of steak weighs around three pounds as a whole cut, and it is the piece that is located close to the heart of the shoulder right under the shoulder blade and the vegetables used in this meal give it a nice balance to the steak.
A great wine pairing for this meal would be a strong red wine like a Malbec or a Lambrusco, and they will create a good mixture of flavor, as the balsamic vinegar mixture gives the steak and vegetable that extra kick.
Ingredients and Items Needed:
4 flat iron steaks
½ cup of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon of olive oil
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of black pepper
½ tablespoon of red pepper
1 teaspoon of coarse salt
2 red peppers
1 sweet onion (sliced up)
Mushroom caps (shitake or oyster)
Big plate or 4 plates (for marinade)
- First thing to do is take a bowl and pour the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic
- Brush the steaks with the vinegar mixture (leave a bit) and add the black and red pepper as well as the salt.
- Cover and refrigerate
- At this point add the vegetables, the mushroom caps, the sliced peppers and the sliced onions to the balsamic vinegar bowl and mix
- Place a lid on the bowl and refrigerate for two and a half hours.
- Later start heating the grill
- Take the vegetables out and drain them
- Grill the steaks and vegetable over medium heat for about 10 minutes or cook a little more if you want them well done turning occasionally
- At this point take off the grill both and cover with foil and let stand for 4 minutes before serving
- Serve to your guests