Many parents do not like their children to receive homemade treats for Halloween but if plan on throwing a Halloween party for your children, or even for adults, make homemade caramels as a sweet treat instead of buying pre-packaged candies.
Making homemade caramels is not at all complicated and they taste much better than those cellophane wrapped little rocks of caramel you buy in the grocery store.
Homemade caramels recipe
Ingredients for homemade caramels:
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks = 8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
How to make homemade caramels:
- Spray a 12x15-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size pot, combine sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, evaporated milk, whipping cream, and butter.
- Monitor the heat of the mixture with a candy thermometer while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the thermometer reaches 250*F remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in vanilla. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and let the mixture cool completely. When cooled cut the caramel into small squares and wrap them in wax paper for storage.
- Yield: about 48 small squares
For an extra-special treat, melt 12 ounces of semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips in a double boiler. Place a large piece of wax paper on the counter.
Dip each caramel into the melted chocolate. Place each chocolate-covered caramel on the wax paper and allow to set completely.
Need more ideas for a Halloween party? You can find helpful Halloween advice on my blog
- Get delicious recipes, helpful cooking tips and recent food news. Subscribe to Rachael Monaco Cooking Examiner for free notification every time something new is published.
- Also subscribe to Rachael Monaco Frugal Living Examiner for frugal living tips, recipes and money-saving ideas.
- Follow Rachael Monaco on Twitter, Facebook Pinterest Bubblews Sulia and Google+
©Rachael Monaco All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first two sentences may be reposted with a link back to the original article.