This creamy potato soup with bacon and carrots also features some delicious fresh onions and some tangy cheddar for just the right kick. And it includes bacon, which judging from some of my most recent recipes, has become my new go-to ingredient. Along with my corn chowder and clam chowder recipes, this potato soup counts as one of my favorite hearty soup recipes for autumn.
Learning how to make creamy potato soup isn't difficult. At least this one isn't. You don't have to worry about scorching the soup as you do with some creamy soup recipes, because it becomes creamy via the blender instead of milk.
This is normally made without the carrots, but I like adding them in for both color and the nutritional value. If you're not a carrot fan, leave them out of your version of this creamy potato soup recipe.
A cheesy potato soup works well as a whole meal when paired with bread or a bread bowl or becomes a nice appetizer for a large dinner party. Consider serving this soup before Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner to warm people's tummies and spirits.
Learn how to make creamy potato soup with bacon and carrots below.
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 large chopped onion (about 2 cups)
- 3 sliced large carrots, 1-inch pieces
- 3 large cloves chopped garlic,
- 3 lbs 1-inch chunks of potatoes (about 4 potatoes, use bakers)
- 6 c. broth, vegetable or chicken
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper, dried garlic granules to taste
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. chopped chives
- Take out your large soup pot and cook the bacon in it until it's crisp.
- Take the bacon out and drain on a paper towel. Once it's cool, break into bits.
- Get rid of all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the bottom of the pot.
- Drop in the onion and cook on medium. Allow this to cook until the onion become a golden color. Should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drop in the garlic and cook it for one minute.
- Add the broth and the potato chunks, bringing these the ingredients to a boil. Turn the heat down and then allow to simmer until the potatoes become soft. Should take about 25 minutes.
- Put the soup in a food processor with a blade knife and puree. (You can use a blender as well.)
- Season the creamy potato soup with bacon and carrots with garlic, pepper and salt according to your tastes.
- Serve the soup hot. Flavor it with dollops of sour cream, bacon and chives.
- For a creamier soup, pour in some half-and-half when you put the soup into the food processor. Warm the half-and-half in the microwave for a minute or so before adding it to the soup. (Don't let it boil over in the microwave.)
- Watch the video attached to the article to learn how to make a bread bowl for your soup.