Christmas is over that is not a reason to put away all of your decorations. A funny and easy activity for you and your children to do is to go on a nature hike and look for pine cones then come home and decorate them and put them on your fireplace mantel or shelf to display for the winter.
What you need:
string or ribbon (if you want to hang them)
paper plate (optional)
What you do:
1. Find the pine cones while hiking in the woods (or in your yard)
2. Prepare your work space with newspaper. You may also want to sit your pine cone on a paper plate so it is easier to collect and reuse the glitter
3. Put glue (or glitter glue) around the edges of your pine cone, if you let it drip it will look more like snow
4. Sprinkle the glitter on the glue
5. Let it dry
6. Repeat the steps with your next pine cone
If you wish to add ribbon/string to it so it will hang you will need a hot glue gun. Once the glitter glue has dried you will put a little bit of hot glue on the tip of the pine cone and apply the ribbon to the hot glue. Let it dry.
7. Display your snow pine cone for the winter.
If you collected the pine cone while hiking you may also have a picture or two and a story to go along with your snow pine cone decoration.