Sometimes you have to think outside the box when it comes to jewelry and small spaces. This home made rustic board holds a number of items and stays within easy reach while keeping out of the way by hanging on a wall. The items used to make this piece can most likely be found laying around your house or garage which makes it a great low cost project.
Here's how to make it:
(Please note the gold mirrored backboard was purchased a head of time but can be easily made with the following tips)
- Particle or thin plank wood for backing (about 1/8 " thick)
- Tiny brass or silver screw hooks
- Slightly thicker wood plank as main feature (about 1/4" thick)
- Small or medium sized mirror
- Gold or silver metallic spray paint
- Small wooden tray box (for bracelets or misc items)
- Thin plastic strips (the kind found on cheap poster board frames)
- Copper tin strips or other decorative hardware
- Hot glue gun, small pin nails, picture frame mounting strip and optional magnets
- Start by cutting thick particle or a similar thin wood for the backing into desired size. Attach photo frame strip to back.
- Using a ruler as a guide, screw small brass hooks into wood molding strip. Attach the molding slightly below the top of the backboard.
- For decorative main board, trace out mirror in center of board and cut out with a small jigsaw. Smooth edges by sanding.
- Spray main board with paint and let dry.
- Place mirror onto desired position of back board, trace, then place main board over mirror and trace outer edges with pencil for proper fit.
- Once positioning is determined, glue mirror onto backboard and attach main board over mirror with small nails, *make sure to nail from the back of backboard.
- Again nailing from backboard, attach wooden tray under bottom rim of main board.
- Nail a copper tin decorative strip onto front of tray. Add magnet if desired.
- Using hot glue gun, attach thin plastic strips along tops and bottom of backboard.
- Hang on wall in desired position and display your favorite pieces!
Like low cost do-it -your self projects?
Visit my other articles for more great homemade ideas!