Pippi Longstocking is a young girl known for her wardrobe, unusual strength and rebel cause. Pippi, created by Astrid Lindgren, has been a source of inspiration for gender equality. She has encouraged girls all over the world to have fun, be daring and have faith in their own ability. Her one-of-a-kind style encourages young girls to “be yourself!”
Creating a Pippi Longstocking Halloween costume is quite easy and inexpensive. Less crafty folks can purchase a complete Pippi costume on Amazon.com. The supplies needed to create this costume for Halloween, school parties, book character day or library events include:
1. Short denim dress or denim jean bib overalls
2. Long sleeve solid color shirt (pictured with red top)
3. Multi-colored scarf
4. Mismatched long, patterned socks
5. Mismatched quilt squares from a local retailer
6. Stuffed monkey – preferably one with Velcro on paws to wrap around neck
7. Hot glue
8. Dark eye liner pen
9. Orange hair spray or Pippi wig
10. White felt
11. Colorful letter stickers “Pippi”
TIP: If one does not own the above articles of clothing, shop local thrift stores / garage sales to save money while making this Halloween costume.
To complete the costume:
1. Hot glue (or sew) the quilt squares on to the denim dress
2. On the white felt, add colorful “Pippi” letter stickers and attach felt piece to front of denim dress
3. Get dressed: shirt, denim dress, socks.
4. Wrap scarf around neck
5. Using the eye liner pencil, add freckles to the face
6. Attach stuffed monkey around neck
7. Spray or dye hair orange like Pippi, or simply wear the wig
The more mismatched the outfit is, the better. I have yet to think of an accessory that can be used to compliment as a Trick or Treat bag. Enter your suggestions in the comments section below!