Have you ever been in a meeting room that is dark and dingy? The creative juices and concentration of participants is unarguably reduced. Sometimes it is worse. Add clutter, remnants from past meetings, and overflowing trash containers to the mix and you have a very unproductive excuse for a meeting room. Max Impact, of getmaximpact.com, says this isn't a meeting room, it's a “Meeting Gloom”.
Neat-nuts will be turned off by the mess while curious minds will scan the mess looking for things that will be of interest to them, allowing them something to focus on in their minds instead of the meeting topic. Eyes will wander through the clutter.
Another problem in "Meeting Glooms" is that they send an unprofessional message to employees and customers. Granted, it is subliminal to some and very obvious to others, but the point is the same as distracted driving. You only fool yourself if you believe it does not have a negative impact.
A particularly egregious offense can be found at some of the older plants in Detroit where meetings rooms sometimes have signs warning of the carcinogen asbestos in the room. Max actually worked in one automotive meeting room that had materials appearing to be from the old muscle cars of the 1970s.
To learn how to prevent meeting gloom, click here.
This and many other new business terms are called Bizerms™ by Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based internet site offering complimentary resources to business leaders, entrepreneurs, human resources professionals and trainers. Each Bizerm™ is a play on words designed to get people thinking about the real meaning of old terminology or to give a visual image of a more truthful business implication of situation. For more Bizerms™, click here.
Do you have a new business term? Share it by contacting your Examiner.
- Employment Diversity In Michigan , a networking group on Linked In.
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Life’ Leadership Lessons by Rick Weaver- 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, e-book, Kindle.