Florida family law concerning divorce can be challenging when handling it on your own. The complexity of a divorce trial could create additional stress on your failed marriage. Even though emotions are running extremely high during this time, it is still important to make the proper financial decisions for moving forward. Because of that, it is essential to hire an experienced Orlando divorce lawyer to handle your case.
Choosing the best attorney to handle your divorce could be the most important decision you will make when ending your marriage and moving on with your life. The strategies they use can provide you financial security and help maintain custody of your children. The following steps can help you select the best Orlando divorce attorney.
The interview is by far the most important step to hiring a lawyer. It provides you a full range of factors of their experience to help weigh your decision. You should avoid choosing an attorney solely on what friends or family members say.
Comprehending Family Law
A skilled attorney will have a full comprehension of Florida family law and will remain current with its trends in the civil legal system. When a crisis or problem arises involving your divorce, a seasoned attorney will not be caught off guard and will have quick answers to resolve the issue.
During the interview, you should ask the following questions. This will help determine every attorney’s level of experience and knowledge of the law. These questions include:
• How long have you practiced family law? A skilled Orlando divorce lawyer with five years or more experience will have a firm understanding of how to best handle your case.
• What percentage of your law practice involves handling divorce cases? The best attorney for you will likely be the one that spends at least 50 percent of their time handling divorce cases.
• What is the number of contested divorce trials you have handled? Many attorneys handle simple divorce cases, but have only a limited amount of experience in courtroom trials. Find an attorney that has extensive experience in contested divorces, just in case those skills are required in your divorce.
• What is the number of the contested custody cases you have handle lately? If children are involved, it is imperative that the Orlando divorce attorney you hire has extensive experience in handling contested custody matters. This will ensure you do not lose your rights of custody over your children.
• Are large asset and complex cases a part of your workload? If your divorce is not simple, based on the assets you share with your spouse, or the complexity of your finances, you will need an experienced Orlando divorce lawyer to help. Hiring an attorney that is just learning the ropes of complex divorce cases will not serve your best interest.
Once you are satisfied with the answers provided to the questions you pose, you will need to use your “gut feeling” in choosing a divorce attorney. The lawyer you select should treat you and your case with respect and dignity, and make you feel comfortable throughout the entire process.
Any attorney that appears inattentive, abrupt or has it condescending attitude should be avoided. In all likelihood, you will be spending many hours with the attorney throughout the divorce. The process will be emotionally draining and time-consuming. You can minimize stress by selecting an attorney that makes you feel comfortable.
You will need to find a skilled Orlando divorce lawyer that wants to “win” your divorce for you. This will ensure you receive what is fair and just at the outcome of your case. Your chosen attorney will likely use the skills of paralegals and the assistance of associate attorneys to achieve successful results for you.
Note: Mark Gladdis is a legal writer for a number of firms across the country.