Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Neighborhoods
  3. Community Issues

How to get your driver’s license when you move to Rochester

See also

So you have moved to Rochester or Rochester Hills, Mich. Welcome. Now you must get a Michigan driver’s license. You first step might be to look for the closest office of the Department of Motor Vehicles but that will be unsuccessful there is no such department in Michigan. Instead licenses are handled by the secretary of state.

The Secretary of State office serving Rochester and Rochester Hills is on Crooks Road just north of M-59. Before you go you will need to get your social security card or some other document to prove your social security number. If you are unable to produce a social security number present a letter of ineligibility, U.S. citizenship or legal presence if not a U.S. citizen, identity and Michigan residency.

If you are at least 18 years of age and have a valid U. S. or Canadian driver’s license you will need to pass a vision test and pay a fee. Cash or a check can be used for a payment. Others will need to take the written and road driving test.

Be aware your old license will be invalidated and returned to you as Michigan law does not allow someone to have more than one license.

Learning more about Rochester Hills

Books about Rochester and Rochester Hills



  • Transgender cop
    A transgender police officer is stepping down from her position to run for office
    Political Office
  • Easter eggs
    Craft delicate, hand-painted eggs with flowers and other designs celebrating spring
    Easter Eggs
  • Subway message
    Subway customer finds 'Big Mama' written on her order
    Subway Message
  • Working from home
    Working from home can be an exciting venture. Get tips to ensure productivity
    Get Tips
  • Limes
    Rising cost of limes could be putting the squeeze on your favorite restaurant
    Expensive Limes
  • Pope Francis
    Religion: Pope Francis instructs how to fight against Satan
    Morning Mass

Related Videos:

  • Man-Food Watch™: No, it’s not just like an Egg McMuffin®
    <div class="video-info" data-id="518016715" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url=""></div>
  • Easter means eggs
    <div class="video-info" data-id="517728122" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url=""></div>
  • Lest we forget - up to the mountain
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//;autoplay=1"></iframe>

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about and apply today!