There are a few malicious people who would purposely poison a pet; however, animal poisoning usually occurs as an accident at home. Most pets are curious animals that learn by exploring and tasting things. Sometimes – although most pet owners show diligent and meticulous care in keeping poisonous objects out of the reach of pets –curious animals find ways to get into serious trouble.
In the event a pet is poisoned, the first thing the pet owner must do is to stay calm. A sample of the poisonous item that the animal ingested should be gathered and contained. For instance, a liquid substance such as antifreeze can be deposited in a plastic or rubber container with a lid for the purpose of taking this sample to the nearest poison control facility or emergency veterinary facility as soon as possible. A sample of any vomit, feces, or discharge from the affected animal should also be gathered and taken to the emergency facility.
One should always have the local animal poison control center number readily available as a precaution. This number can be entered and saved into a smart phone, written down and taped next to a landline, and kept on a business card inside of a purse or wallet. Another poison control number that should be easily accessed is the National ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number. This number is (888) 426-4435.