Returning to school is an exciting time of year but it can also mean anxiety for both parents and children. There are several articles and tips available for parents when it comes to the issue of preparing for school. For children with special needs especially individuals that struggle with a change in routine beginning a new program can be frightening.
The following list contains key actions every parent should take to ensure the program and transition is successful.
- Discuss the daily routine with everyone involved
- Take a tour of the school/program
- Meet the teacher prior to the first day
- Visit the classroom and show your child where he/she will be seated
- Discuss transportation routine with your child
- Plan a road trip to the school and explain how and when the child will arrive at school and home
- Provide key information about likes and dislike to the teacher
- Plan a follow up visit within a week to ensure appropriate changes have been met
- Most importantly ask questions and hold those responsible for the development and well being of your child accountable for a successful school year
Parents should always stay involved during the entire school year but getting a good positive start on the first day is a step in the right direction.