The Small Business Administration (SBA) is sweet on small business. The SBA website reports "
- Between 1993 and 2011, small firms accounted for 64% of the net new jobs [made] in the United States.
- Small businesses comprise 98 percent of America’s exporters and produce 33 percent of all export value.
- Small businesses [make] more than 46 percent of the American nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Small businesses [make] 43 percent of all high-tech employment.
- Home-based businesses account for 52 percent of all small businesses.
- More than 7.8 million businesses are owned by women.
- Veterans also own more than 3.7 million small businesses, and are at least 45 percent more likely to be self-employed in the private sector workforce than those with no active-duty military experience.
- Small businesses received over $90 billion in Federal contracts in FY 2011.
- Small, high-patenting firms produce 16 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.
- With approximately 28 million small businesses in the United States, employing 60 million Americans, small businesses employ half of the private sector workforce"
Now the technology infrastructure is warming up to small business with cost-effective and time efficient solutions. Let us count the ways:
Marketing - Small Businesses can take advantage of text messaging solutions with SureMessenger Solutions (sign up for a FREE trial using code PWA2011) writes "SureMessenger Solutions offers a more effective way to connect with customers and grow your business using mobile text marketing and social media! Boost your marketing campaign with today's technology and increase your sales revenue. It's cost effective and targeted. Blast out coupons, deals, discounts and more to all your customers mobile phones all at once."
Accounting - Freshbooks is a small business cloud computing accounting solution competing with wave, quickbooks online, intuit and others. CIO.com "5 Top Picks for Small Business Cloud-Based Accounting" writes in the article "CIO — Small business owners don't need to purchase expensive business accounting software programs or spend hours lost in complicated reports. Cloud accounting services—software stored and accessed online—is an attractive option for small business owners. When using cloud accounting software, IT tasks such as version upgrades and data backup are managed by the application vendor. In looking at small business accounting options, CIO.com specifically looked for applications designed to meet both the budget and the needs of a typical small office or small business. We chose five cloud accounting service options available cost $20 or less per month and are easy to use—even for small business owners with little or no experience with accounting tasks." My choice and www.cio.com's choice is Freshbooks.com.
Payroll - PNC Bank Online Services is a great tool for small businesses - The website says "Process your payroll online from start to finish in a fraction of the time it takes to do it manually, and at a lower cost than traditional payroll service providers. PNC Online Payroll, a part of PNC Online Banking, provides everything you need to do payroll online anytime, anywhere Internet access is available. We'll guide you through the entire payroll process -- from setup, paycheck calculations and W-2s, to electronic tax filing and payments."
Now we are using technology to decrease the costs of accounting, payroll and marketing for your business.
For more information: subscribe to the Newman Networks Newsletter, follow Newman Networks on Facebook and see all of our upcoming events, including Freshbooks training on January 27th, 2014 at the Salvation Army Kroc Center at http://newmannetworks.eventbrite.com
Small Business Job Opportunities:
- Educators on Call - EOC is a premier substitute provider to Philly’s best charter schools. Our teachers earn a competitive rate, while gaining valuable classroom experience. All you need is a passion for teaching and a bachelor’s degree! (Current clearances are needed to start ASAP)
- Sure Messenger Solutions - Imagine working from home making $9-19\hour. No sales, No MLM, Flexible hours. Just providing inbound customer service support for Fortune 150 & 500 companies.. Give us a call (888) 982-2922. Next Training starts 2/3/2014