How To Deal With Lack Of Resources On Your Project

How To Deal With Lack Of Resources On Project
How To Deal With Lack Of Resources On Project
flickr

Comments

The executives and Renato Luck Oerlikon Solar are the one's limited in brain capacity.

Renalto's statement is like saying here is a tack hammer, and 10 nails, but an entire house needs to be framed today. Yes, the resouces are lacking and there are no more nails, but the job needs to be completed or you are fired. The house gets framed, but held up with duct tape.

Three weeks later a strond wind storm comes from out od no where, the framing falls and people are maimed and killed. Renalto and the executives will blame the workers.

Please Relato and exucitives at your company please move to Antaritca where the rest of the world will be safe. Ohh, here is a fishing pole. That is all we have to give you to survive for a year until someone comes back to pick you up. If you do not survice, all of you are fired.

This is a ridiculous post.

Unless you are brand new on the job or naive bordering on ignorant how can you not know that staffing a resource takes time?

Further-more there is nothing said about the competencies required to just "shift" resources.

It's blog like these that contribute to the dumbing down of the population and why anyone with half a brain looks like a superstar.

You really should proof read your online writing, and don't forget to turn on the grammar checking in your word processing program. Quality does count in all project deliverables.

Resource constraints occur in the majority of projects. The planning is being mismanaged if the resulting quality is compromised. If your sponsors / stakeholders are selling the PM on doing the project with inadequate resources at the kick-off, then recognize the fact that planning or your negotiating skill was deficient.

• ChristopherMCD 4 years ago

This is a great article for me, because I am in a situation with a small business where we are trying to make the most of the very limited resources available to us. By forwarding this article to my director, I was able to convince him that my project was critical, and miraculously received not only funding but personnel from a non-critical department. I am new to this field, and these articles are a much needed lifeline.

One of the suggestion is re-plan based on the available resources.

• Nilesh 4 years ago

This situation is normally comes into execution phase. In my practice I do the shuffling of the resources. By using WBS structure finishing the task which can be complete very fast by any of the resources even if the resource is a well experienced or a fresher. Or else assign the resource from another project which is not critical at this time.

• Amro Elakkad 4 years ago

The article is nice, but there are other ways to deal with lack of your resources on your project. Here are few suggestions that I have implemented over the years:

1. Make sure your sponsor and executive committee know the situation as early as possible. There are two advantages of doing so. First, they will be prepared that this might mean that the project won't be delivered as early as they might think. And second, they might actually go out of their way to make sure they get you the resources you need.

2. Communicate early on the impact of being short on resources. It is critical that you come up with a realistic schedule based on what you actually have and communicate that to all of your stakeholders.

3. Do double spotting. What that means is that for every critical task, team up people. For every critical task have two resources working on it, one primary and one secondary. This way you are training your secondary resources so that if the primary resource go away for any reason (holiday, vacation, emergencies, etc.), then your secondary resources can pick up the task.

4. Do proper resource allocation and load balance. More than any other situation, you need to be able to tell at any point in time, how much are your resources loaded (or more likely, over loaded). This information would be critical to be communicated to the resources functional managers (if you are in a matrix organization), so that they can give them a slack on their BAU/operational tasks, in favor of their project tasks.

5. Do a proper risk management planning. Your stakeholders need to realize the risk of the shortage of resources and understand the mitigation plan around that risk. They will need to participate in the initial risk management identification sessions if possible to get a first hand feeling for the situation.

6. Keep communicating. On all of your status reports, keep reminding people of the resources shortage issue and its impact on your schedule.

Hope this helps.

• It is good to demand quality but it is bad to demand slavery 4 years ago

Where I work I have to be involved as a Project Leader, developer, analyst, applications support, server administrator.

I do everything related to the development of the project and the administration after it, thanks to the echonomic crisis. It started by them limiting my resources before getting this far. And the company is at really good numbers.

Basicly I have to function as a whole team and my superiors won't listen nor they want to. What I do is enough to be considered as a good complaint in this times. I have to work the whole year and my income is ridiculous low. I only stay because it is good to feel this kind of pressure but I have no life at all, working 70 hours a week.