Dorm rooms tend to be on the cozy size so using all of the space wisely is important to live comfortable in your room. Beds take up much of the valuable floor space while the air above is rendered useless as empty space.
Be sure to watch me on the eHow video as an accompaniment to this article!
Storage containers are made specifically for keeping items neatly under the bed.
- Under the bed shoe storage boxes are a great idea, easily pulling out when a pair of shoes is needed.
- Plastic containers can keep an extra blanket or some sweaters.
Although these containers are helpful to store items the bed still is too low to really keep anything substantial. To make the best use of gaining extra space to store your items and open up the room it is an excellent idea to raise the bed up off of the floor to provide use of the valuable real estate that sits under it.
There are several options that will raise the dorm bed towards the ceiling.
- Students for years have been raising dorm beds using concrete blocks placed under each foot. These are heavy and stable and can be used in the tall position or on the side. This will allow you to double up on the under bed storage.
- Companies have caught on to the need for dorm dwellers to raise the bed and now offer risers made specifically to hold the legs in place and to lift the bed up to provide more room underneath. The plastic risers are available at many home good stores.
- Loft beds give the best option for providing much needed space in the room. Beds can be purchased for under 200-dollars and easily ordered from home stores to be delivered right to campus ready for you to put together. Have the school store away their bed frame and build the loft to sleep on. Use the space underneath for storage, desk space, or to have a comfy area to place a futon for entertaining. At the end of the year disassemble the bed to be stored away for the next year's use.
Mellow out in the new found space. Your friends will be envious of the extra space your room has compared to their own rooms. Your room will probably turn into the meeting place so make sure to arrange your time for studying. Have fun with dorm life and never be afraid to dance!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.