Whether you have been knitting for years or are new to the craft, you more than likely are looking for an accessible way to organize and store your knitting needles. Knitting needle storage can be challenging. Needles come in a variety of sizes, lengths and styles, including circular, double pointed and straight. There are many solutions available, which range from expensive custom cases to empty snack containers.
In an effort to find an “at-a-glance” solution, this Examiner created a wall-mounted organizer from materials on hand. Here’s how to make your own “Knitting Needle Board:”
- Bulletin board (optional: material to cover the cork surface)
- Elastic: length will depend on board size; width is optional
- Heavy duty staple gun and 1/2" (or longer) staples or other method that will secure the elastic to the board
- Nails or screws to mount bulletin board to the wall
- Resealable storage bags (sandwich or quart size)
- Push pins
Instructions (see slideshow for pictures):
- Measure and cut elastic to the width of the bulletin board
- Secure the elastic to the board at intervals appropriate to your needle sizes. Leave some "give" so that the staples will not be pulled out when removing and replacing needles
- Mount bulletin board to the wall
- Slip needles into the appropriate space
- Place labels with the needle sizes above each set
- Put each set of circular needles in its own storage bag; label each bag with the needle size and length
- Use push pins to secure bags to board
We have found that this method of knitting needle storage and organizing makes it easy to see which sizes are available and are also easily accessible.
We welcome your ideas for other methods for organizing knitting needles. Place your suggestions in the comments below.