Foods, environments, and various lifestyle habits can throw off and disrupt digestion, and it is very likely that the holiday season, with all of the parties, desserts, and drinks, did just that. Luckily there are very easy and effective ways to help detox the body and assist the digestive system in running smoothly again.
· One simple, yet highly effective, practice is drinking warm water with lemon. Lemons are high in vitamin C, which helps to cleanse the liver, the second largest organ in the body that is responsible for elimination and blood filtration. Try this every morning to reap the benefits and kick start digestion.
· Adding in more dark, leafy greens to one’s diet is also extremely important. This can be done by throwing some baby spinach or kale into a smoothie, adding it to a salad, or sautéing it for dinner. The chlorophyll in these greens helps to promote the elimination of toxins in the body.
· Another crucial player in digestion is dietary fiber. Fiber is one of the best ways to promote digestion, and it also helps to stave off hunger. One easy way to get fiber is by eating fresh fruit. In addition to the high fiber content, fruit is also loaded with vitamins and minerals. Other great sources of fiber include vegetables, whole grains, and beans and legumes.
· When looking to improve digestion, and help the body to function properly, water is key. It not only keeps the body hydrated, but it also helps to flush out excess salt and fluids and aid in digestion. Aim to drink one to two 8-ounce glasses before a meal. It is recommended to drink before and after meals, as opposed to during, because the consumption of water while eating can slow down digestion.
· Lastly, exercise is another surefire way to improve digestion and elimination, and in turn beat bloating and constipation. The site livestrong.com further explains that cardiovascular exercise helps to strengthen the abdomen and stimulates the intestinal muscles to move contents through the digestive system.
Incorporate these tips to help with digestion and elimination and start feeling great!