Crock pot cooking is making an All American come-back!
Join the ranks by giving this hearty, healthy Smoked Sausage with Cabbage and Apples recipe a try!
Learning how to cook a few simple, healthy meals can be a great way to shed those unwanted winter pounds. Not to mention, it’s a great way of introducing your family to healthier eating habits.
Smoked Sausage with Cabbage and Apples
- 1 ½ lbs smoked sausage, cut into 2 inch length
- 3 cooking apples, thickly sliced
- ½ head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- ½ cup *apple juice
- Layer the sausage, apples, cabbage and onion in the crock pot in the order listed.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of final layer.
- Pour the apple juice over all ingredients in the pot – do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours / or high for 3 - 4 hours.
Use a 3 – 6 quart size slow cooker
- Remember to read your labels and watch for added / hidden sugars.
- Use a blender, extractor, or juicer for *naturally sweetened apple juice.
- Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.