Making heart healthy recipes can be as simple as choosing to increase your protein.
About this dish:
This easy herb chicken and two bean salad is one of my mother’s favorite South Beach recipes.
It is a beautiful chicken dish with additional protein, fiber, and color with the addition of both green and white beans. Then throw in a handful of scallions and toss with a flavorful buttermilk dressing.
Increasing a steady intake of protein in your diet may assist in reducing sugar cravings and may help lower blood sugar for those battling diabetes.
- 1 ½ t. poultry *seasoning
- ½ t. salt
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz fresh green beans
- ¼ t. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) small white beans; drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup light buttermilk
- 1 T. mayonnaise
- Two scallions (or green onions) thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Set a pan of water to boil.
- Apply 1 t. *seasoning, the salt and oil to both sides of the chicken breasts. Roast in a shallow roasting pan for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and still moist. Set aside.
- Add green beans to boiling water and cook about 3-5 minutes. Drain, run under cold water to stop cooking, and drain again. (see video to blanch the green beans)
- Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together: ½ t. of the remaining seasoning, black pepper, buttermilk, mayonnaise and scallions.
- Add the green beans and white beans into the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Thinly slice the *chicken crosswise, add to the bowl with the bean mixture, and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or chill for later use.
Yields 4 (2 cup) servings
276 cal, 9g fat, 2g saturated fat, 34g protein, 19 carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 559mg sodium
• This dish is perfect served as a cold salad in the summer or a hot, nutritious delight in the winter time.
• Personalize this meal by substituting your favorite herbs. We like Montreal® Chicken Seasoning or Emeril’s Bam seasoning.
• Cut the chicken and green beans into smaller, bite-sized pieces for a salad. The strips make for better texture when serving this as a main dish.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.