Slow cookers are a great time saver! And while the weather is still on the chilly side, you can add this heart healthy recipe to your collection.
About cooking with beans:
There is always some debate over whether or not to soak beans.
Both my mother and step mother make an excellent pot of beans. One insists on soaking them over-night, where the other brings them to a hard rolling boil for 10 minutes, covers them for an hour, and then continues to simmer for several more hours.
Crock pot cooking can be a little different than stove top cooking, so I have provided a link below for further information.
However, one thing is certain: it is important to increase the protein in our diets. This can be accomplished by learning to prepare quick easy crock pot meals.
Rosemary Chicken with White Beans
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 4-6 Chicken breast halves
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- 1 15oz can Great Northern or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken.
- Remove and drain.
- Add the carrots, celery, and beans to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts on top.
- In a medium bowl combine the salt, pepper, rosemary, and Italian dressing.
- Mix well and pour over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours / or high heat for 4 hours.
Use a 3 – 6 quart size cooker
- Chicken broth may be added to desired consistency.
- Remember to read labels and watch for added / hidden sugars.
- Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues..
• Beans and legumes are high in protein.
• Diets high in protein help the body feel satisfied, which is known to reduce sugar cravings. This is especially important for those battling high blood sugar and/ or diabetes.
• Plant-based foods are rich in complex carbohydrates.
• Contain an array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
• Fat -free and cholesterol-free.
• When eaten regularly, they have been known to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- For more information on cooking with beans, click on the link in this sentence.
- Boise Co-Op
- Whole Foods Market
- Brown Box Organics
- The Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.