Content marketing was one of the biggest buzzwords of 2012. Because of this, we know the need for good content marketing is only going to be greater this year. So, how do you stand out in a sea of writers looking to build links? You put time and effort into your writing. That’s the simple version, but here are some more tips for becoming a great guest blogger.
1. Search for blogs relevant to your audience. It doesn’t have to be your exact niche, but you will want to only guest post on blogs that are similar to your own and that your audience relates to. This helps you establish yourself as an expert in the field and it also helps you make great connections.
2. Make sure the site is credible. Take time to do the research. See if they are getting a lot of comments either on the blog or on their social platforms. Check out their guest blogging requirements. If it looks easy to get a post with them, then you probably don’t even want to bother. If they have strict guidelines and measures for posting on their site, it will mean they are more credible.
3. Build relationships. Sending out mass emails might lead to a few guest posts, but building relationships will allow you to have places where you can post multiple times and where you are a trusted source. This can also lead to meeting new people through these trusted relationships.
4. Think outside the box. People are not going to want to publish or read something that has been done a million times. If your article is new and unique it is more likely to get posted by the big blogs. Read other blogs and do keyword research to get your ideas flowing.
5. Keep up with trends. Set up Google alerts for specific keywords and have your Google reader on hand every day. If you are on top of the trends you will be able to provide guest posts that are up to date and relevant to other readers.
By doing these things and keeping your content fresh and relevant, you will stand out from other spammy writers. Make sure to add your voice into the article as well to keep it interesting.