The 21st century is the age of nuance. A ‘meta-skill’ for creating success in the age of nuance – changing worldview – is at the core of being a great female boss.
It is especially important for women who lead people to become adept at changing worldview. Women often fight an uphill battle with regard to being a culture fit (i.e., values and beliefs) in Corporate America. For many women, success doesn’t depend upon influencing others in a culture in which they are viewed as aligned. It depends upon changing worldview in a culture in which they are viewed as counter.
Below are ten tips to becoming a great female boss in the 21st century. They will help you develop your ability to change worldview:
- An authoritarian stance lacks credibility at work. Maintain a partnership mindset; yet be aware of and understand management boundaries. Apply firmly when necessary.
- Keep administrative duties at 15% or less of your time.
- Spend 50% of your time speaking with people and asking questions about what they do, how they do it and how they can do it better.
- Put corrections on the back-burner. Put set-up on the front burner so work is done ‘right.’
- Be passionate, but not overly-emotional.
- Express your feelings privately when you are not in control of how you feel.
- Manage detractors professionally.
- 360 degree respect is paramount.
- Trust until trust is not deserved.
- Be aware of and understand the differences in masculine and feminine communication patterns. HINT: Masculine and feminine; not male and female.
It’s your world. You can shape it for success. Go for it.