“I’m only happy when it rains,” – This could and should be you. Milwaukee has been heavy on the rain and fog as of late, and some people are being real Debbie Downers about it; instead, we can be Optimistic Olivias. What is more optimistic and fun than Garbage's "I'm Only Happy When It Rains"? They made it edgy and cool to love rainy days which is a relief to all of the Wednesday Addamses out there. Succumb to loving the rain that has been this summer’s favorite thing to do to us. Milwaukee's weather wants you to become the Shirley Manson we all wanted to be in 1995. Here are some inspiring things to get you there:
2) Cuddle up on the couch with a new pooch, friend, or loved one.
3) Explore your children’s sense of wonder ala Rachel Carson by puddle jumping or swimming while it rains (NO swimming while there is lightning). Rachel Carson's book A Sense of Wonder is one of the best ways out there to teach you how to appreciate nature around you and show it to your kids.
4) Bring back your childhood by playing Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board with candles lit and lights off. If you scare the poo out of yourself playing it, please just Google "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board" explained. There is a science behind it.
5) Invite your best friend over(s) and lock them in the dark while telling them scary stories like Jenny and the Green Ribbon. This story was a staple for children of the 90s, as was being locked in the bathroom by your friends' babysitter while they explained the movie Candyman to you. (HINT: The best way to tell a scary story is at dusk so it isn’t scary while it’s being told, but instead it lingers into the wee hours of the night.)
6) Read some Gothic novels like Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.
Milwaukee will always be here for you to play with - even if you can't see it through the fog.