Need a fresh look for a night out? Whether it is New Year's Eve, a friend's birthday celebration or a spring wedding, there's always a way to restyle your little black dress. The most versatile dress is sleeveless and has a defined waist. These dress silhouettes include, but are not limited to; the sheath, fit and flare, wrap, body con, a-line and halter. There may also be other styles that work for your body type.
Use your dress to highlight your best feature. This may be your neck, chest, waist or legs. You can also camouflage parts of your figure with the correct dress. If your bust and hips are similar sizes, try a sheath, wrap, or a-line dress. If you carry weight in your hips or thighs try fit and flare, a-line or wrap dress. If you have a small bust, try a slip or halter dress. If you have a large bust, try a fit and flare or strapless dress to make your hips appear larger. Alternately, make sure your sheath dress fits well, creating the classic 1960s wiggle dress, like those found on Mad Men.
The simpler your dress, the more ways you will be able to wear it. Consider it an investment piece. You can afford to spend more on a little black dress if you are able to change the accessories for work, dinner out, or a party.
Here are ten ways to accessorize your little black dress (LBD):
- Experiment with patterned stockings or tights, such as the sheer luxe punctuation pantyhose from American Apparel.
- Dress it down by wearing it with bare legs, cowboy boots and a denim jacket.
- Wear the LBD on date night with a statement necklace and a single long earring.
- Play with textures by layering a sheer blouse underneath your little black dress.
- Roughen up you style by wearing the LBD with a gray leather jacket, studded wristbands and pointy flats.
- Stay warm and stylish in your dress by accessorizing with tights and matching over-the-knee boots.
- Lighten it up with a floral jacket, bright belt, and wedges.
- Sparkle as you wander the city in a sequined bolero jacket and combat boots.
- Go retro by wearing skinny jeans or leggings underneath in oxblood red or radiant orchid.
- For summer, pile on an armful of bangles, a tiny pendant, and strappy sandals.
Tired of black? You can wear any solid color dress and accessorize it using the tips above as long as you are aware of your color palette. For a dress that can be worn from day to night like the LBD, try red, navy or charcoal.