A good friend is hard to find. We are lucky when we have a few special people in our lives to share our hopes and dreams with. Being a good friend can be complicated as well. The first step is know whether you are a good friend or not. Here are a few questions to ask yourself to find out if you are a good friend.
1. You are loyal. No not loyal like your dog but loyal in the sense that no matter what choices your friend is making in life that you don't agree with, you still are their to help her through them.
2. A good listener. Being a good listener is an important part of being a friend. It's not just about "hearing" what your friend is saying but understanding what they mean. Everyone wants a chance to tell their story.
3. Time Giver. A good friend makes time for each other. Even if the kids are running around in the background screaming, good friends can share what is going on in their lives and make due. They make time for the small things.
4. Honest. A good friend will listen to you but will also be honest with you. They will tell you the truth when you need to hear it. Being honest also means that you can trust them with the things you share with them.
5. Be able to laugh. A good friend is someone you can laugh with. They can laugh at themselves and they can bring a smile to your face when you need it.
6. A defender. A good friend would never spread gossip about you. Infact they would put a stop to it and would let you know what was said.
7. Put Judgement aside. We all have our opinions about things and it's ok to state them. However, a good friend does not make their friend feel as if their choices are not good enough or give them a feeling of being judged. It's important to know the difference between judgement and just stating what you want or feel.
8. Supportive. A good friend is supportive of your goals, hopes and dreams. They encourage you to do the things you love in life.
9. Shares. We learned in kindergarten that sharing is a part of being a good friend. This rule still applies to many things. Especially, sharing and opening up with the things that are going on in our lives. A good friendship is balanced. Each person shares their hopes, dreams and worries. Otherwise, we get stuck in a one sided relationship.
10. Compassion. A good friend has compassion for others. They understand that we all have good days and bad. They give the love and support that you need with an open heart and forgives you when you have done something wrong.
No matter what kind of friend you are right now in your life. You have the choice to be a better friend to those you love. Making friends is the way we stay connected in life. How we share our life stories. Be grateful that you have someone to share your hopes and dreams with .