Samira who? That is more-or-less the result returned by a search of the State Department’s web page naming the winners of the 2013 International Women of Courage Award.
If you had checked the site as recently as Thursday, you would have found the name Samira Ibrahim, accompanied by a paragraph acknowledging her courage as a crusader for women’s rights in repressive Egypt. Ibrahim’s name was scrubbed and the award — to be presented by Secretary of State John Kerry and First Lady Michelle Obama — rescinded after The Weekly Standard outed her as a hate-spewing bigot. Via a Twitter account, she has openly and repeatedly avowed her hatred of Jews and written that America should burn on the anniversary of Sept. 11.
Ibrahim is also a coward — someone who refuses to own up to her views. When first confronted with her incendiary tweets, she claimed her account had been hacked. Yet on Thursday, after her name was removed from the list of award recipients, she tweeted:
I refused to apologize to the Zionist lobby in America on the previous statements hostile to Zionism under pressure from the American government, so the prize was withdrawn.
Two questions arise now. One is how the State Department failed to vet Ibrahim. If she used a social medium as open and transparent as Twitter to spew her hateful thoughts, then surely there must be letters or other evidence of her anti-Semitic, anti-American views. The second question is how careful State has been in vetting the remaining recipients.
- Black Muslim who sent anti-Semitic materials to pols killed by police (Video)
- Outrage: Obama administration wants to give Egypt $450 million in aid
- Detroit Tiger Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semitic tirade, brawl in midtown
- SNL’s send-up of Al Sharpton misses the funniest joke of all (Video)
- Bloomberg tells anti-Semitic Wall Street Occupiers to clear out (Video)
- Delta Airlines accused of enforcing Sharia law against Jewish passengers (Photos)
- Millions of locusts swarm Jewish homeland
- What sequester: Kerry releases $250M in aid to Egypt
- The Palestinians’ self-perpetuating nightmare
- ‘Piss Christ’ returns to New York along with ‘Piss Moses’ (Video)
- NY Post sends Ahmadinejad gift basket of Jewish delicacies (Video)
- WH denies that Middle East crisis casts doubt on its policies
- Obama State Department aide tells reporter to ‘f**k off’
- British schools drop Holocaust from history lessons so as not to offend Muslims
- Stench from Ahmadinejad's food drives off hotel guests
- True Islamophobia and standing up to death threats from Islamic extremists
- U.N. official Richard Falk posts 9/11 Truther rant on his blog